2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

The General has pinched the pennies again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:21 PM

The General has pinched the pennies again...

This time it's the clutch. Got cold outside and it's slippin'. I'm not even gonna get into it with the dealers simply because I'm not gonna have the GM part put back in. Anyways..... whats the book time on the replacing of the clutch?
Old 12-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Deceased

How many miles on your clutch? Just asking because they usually aren't affected by cold weather. The problem might lie in the clutch master cylinder.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's around 8 hours. The sub frame has to be dropped.

I also doubt it's the clutch though.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:05 AM

The mileage is right around 18,200 miles....give or take a few.
And I too am thinking the same..... it couldn't be the clutch.
Over at cobaltss.net it seems a lot of the guys are/have had the same or close to it problem. Clutch assembley gets replaced, no more problem.
Over here, Jonboyb is having the same deal as me.
And it's gonna cost 'bout what I was thinkin'. Wrenchin' time plus decent clutch equals $1,500.00 to $1,650 USD.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:38 AM

I have 36K on my stock clutch and no issues.....Hum. Good Luck lets us know
Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 AM

I gave up on clutches when I could no longer replace them at home in the garage. Also I hate cable operated shifters as they all go to hell in time.

Don't get me wrong I love a good standard but anymore they are just too difficult and expensive for a daily driver. Now if it was a play car I would still consider it.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm with hyperv6. Being a ex racer, and my SS is a daily driver, with some more track time planned, in the spring, I think the auto is the way to go. It can be manually shifted to where there is'nt a lot of difference compared to a maunal shift. I have the good Trifecta tune, and I had Vince firm up the shifting, so I get good lockup on the converter[no slippage]. A good auto set up, can put the power down to the ground more consistant than a manual, under most conditions. Manual shifting is "old school", and unless the driver is sharp, won't be consistant, or on the powerband.
I'm sure to get plenty of disagreement on this, but thats the facts folks. Properly set up a Auto can give any manual shifter, a run for it's money[if you know what you're doing]. Very few race cars are shifted manually anymore. They use computer controlled air shifters, that takes a lot of the driver error out of the equation. Clutch and manual shifting is history. "Moon"
Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Exedy hyper single or the spec stage 3+ are most poular/the best choice.

PM us with any questions.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by moonsign
I'm with hyperv6. Being a ex racer, and my SS is a daily driver, with some more track time planned, in the spring, I think the auto is the way to go. It can be manually shifted to where there is'nt a lot of difference compared to a maunal shift. I have the good Trifecta tune, and I had Vince firm up the shifting, so I get good lockup on the converter[no slippage]. A good auto set up, can put the power down to the ground more consistant than a manual, under most conditions. Manual shifting is "old school", and unless the driver is sharp, won't be consistant, or on the powerband.
I'm sure to get plenty of disagreement on this, but thats the facts folks. Properly set up a Auto can give any manual shifter, a run for it's money[if you know what you're doing]. Very few race cars are shifted manually anymore. They use computer controlled air shifters, that takes a lot of the driver error out of the equation. Clutch and manual shifting is history. "Moon"
I agree but there is still a very good feeling to driving a proper manual tranny rowing through the gears.

I love driving these yet but for reliability and resale it is hard to beat the Auto for daily driving.

Just in this day where the factory cars are just good enough to meet the factory perdormance. It take a lot more to improve the clutch systems than in the past. The Fox body Mustangs are a good example with their weak linkage quads. I see so many people put in a heavy clutch and wipe it out in less than 3,000 miles after the factory Quad fails and they never upgraded it.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:06 PM

????

I don't know if it would be the master cylinder, but you might also want to consider the slave cylinder. How are you brakes doing - pedal fill softer than normanl? Hydraulic fluid for the clutch comes from the brake fluid reservoir - check your level.

Quick Reply: The General has pinched the pennies again...