2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

GM Kit Not Recommended for Self Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 AM

GM Kit Not Recommended for Self Install

The GM Turbo Performance upgrade kit is not recommended for a self install. If you self install then you need to have the vehicle trailered to the dealer for the calibration download. If you install the sensors and attempt to drive the car to the dealer you will set MAP and TMAP and Baro codes. These codes would need to be cleared before the new calbration is down loaded.

IT IS MY OPINION that it won't be too long before GM puts out a bulletin that says they won't pay for the code clear under warranty and will cost more for the self installer to get the codes cleared and the calibration downloaded than if they had the entire kit installed at the dealer.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

So why the big deal with code clearing....

Code clearing now days is such a simple thing to do.
Anyone can go to there local Advance Auto & sign-out a code reader/clearer, drive to the GM dealer for the download, & clear any codes before handing the keys over.

Or you can do the same if you have HPTuner, ect....
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 2000Firehawk
So why the big deal with code clearing....

Code clearing now days is such a simple thing to do.
Anyone can go to there local Advance Auto & sign-out a code reader/clearer, drive to the GM dealer for the download, & clear any codes before handing the keys over.

Or you can do the same if you have HPTuner, ect....
The problem is that the code clearing would have to be done in the repair bay where the vehicle is going to get the new calibration from. Because if you drive the veicle from the lot to the repair bay it is going to set the codes again. The dealer will then charge for clearing the codes prior to the install.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM

I can see dealers charging for this....

It really is only an hour install (now that the bugs are out), and the kit is covered under warranty assuming the dealer installed it. Really worth the $100 as long as dealers don't overcharge for the installs.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP
The GM Turbo Performance upgrade kit is not recommended for a self install. If you self install then you need to have the vehicle trailered to the dealer for the calibration download. If you install the sensors and attempt to drive the car to the dealer you will set MAP and TMAP and Baro codes. These codes would need to be cleared before the new calbration is down loaded.

IT IS MY OPINION that it won't be too long before GM puts out a bulletin that says they won't pay for the code clear under warranty and will cost more for the self installer to get the codes cleared and the calibration downloaded than if they had the entire kit installed at the dealer.
i had this issue yesterday my calibration was off somehow. I went in this morning, they had to recalibrate the same three sensors as stated above. But mine was all done in the same bay. If I want to I can clear them with my Aeroforce gauge. But they did the recalibration and bada bing bada boom back up and running just fine.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Don't you have to have the scan tool hooked up for the calibration anyway? Hpw hard is it for the tech to clear the codes, then recal the ecm?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Just spend the money and have the Tech install it. Warranty as well and not getting your hands dirty.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Wasn't hard at all....I can clear the codes anytime I wish to since I have the Aeroforce gauge but for the warranty to be intact they have to install it.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
XXL

It's a business, trying to standardize how they do things. While each dealer will handle things a little differently, they shouldn't be under any obligation to clear "your" codes that you caused when you did your own work. You probably wouldn't expect them to finish up a DIY oil change. So why this?

Now... IMO, if they're decent people, they shouldn't give you any flack and just take care of you. However, I have yet to find such a dealer in this hellhole I'm currently located in. *sigh*
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 PM

My dealer bends over backwards to help out...

Quick Reply: GM Kit Not Recommended for Self Install