2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

hahn ic kit installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AaronSS
I consider myself a turbo noob too, but I did a lot of learning with my 240sx project. I am hesitant to answer this question simply because it's on the fringe of me feeling like I know what I'm talking about. Take what I'm about to say with a little salt, and ANYONE feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

We currently have a "pull through" setup. This means the MAF is before the turbo and the air is pulled through. With a BOV vented to atmosphere on a pull through setup, you're exactly right. Some of the air that was measured at the inlet of the turbo is vented before combustion when the valve opens, therefore causing your A/F ratio to run momentarily rich. This is also one reason you see alot of backfiring on some modified turbo cars.

In a blow through setup, the maf is placed after the turbo, usually on the cold side (after the IC) so that the amount of air that is entering the cylinders is measured correctly. The BOV is located before the maf, so any vented air is not measured.

Doing this requires a complete retune due to the pressure of the air passing through the maf. The Hahn kit will be recirculated for that reason. It's designed to be more of a plug and play solution, which is great for most.
We've done a fair amount of research and experimentation with this, and we've decided to stick with the draw-through MAF for one significant reason...the intake air temp sensor (IAT1) is also in the MAF sensor housing. This sensor should read ambient air temperature, not post-turbo heated air as it would if located between the turbo and the engine. The PCM performs calculations based on the delta (difference between IAT1 and IAT2, which is measured post-turbo), and taking away its ability to calculate this variable can lead to a host of unintended ripple effects with fueling and ignition timing. Inadequate and/or incorrect information in these critical areas could be injurious to the engine at the worst, and can lead to inconsistent operation at best.

Until I have considerably more knowledge about how the complex Bosch DI PCM models airflow based on this delta, we will retain the intended function of the IAT1 sensor to read incoming (ambient) air temp.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbo wanabe
Very nice write up mightymouse. I have to agree with you that Hahn racecraft is first rate. It might take a little longer for them to introduce there products, but when they do they are right and make great power and you can be assured that they were throughlly tested. I am going to pick up my SS this weekend from Bill and can't hardly wait to see what kind of new goodies they have installed this time.

Now all we need is that big turbo!!!!
Thank you also, Wanabe. It's a pleasure working with you all!

You are correct in that we take great pride in our testing and validation process where new products are concerned. We strive to equal OEM standards of quality and capability. Our 20 years of product development have taught us that rushing products to market is far too risky, both for our customers as well as us.

We would prefer to be best than first

P.S.: Sure was fun seeing your HHR make 305 WHP on our dyno

Last edited by SindyDix; 12-15-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 PM

Oh cool! Another 300whp FWD LNF!

Bill, I was not aware of the connection between the sensors. Are the sensors themselves joined, or is it just contained in the housing with the MAF? Are there seperate connecting wires? I'm sure you know what I'm getting at. Could the sensors be seperated or the same wiring be used with aftermarket sensors? Also, does the ECU make calculations based on the delta, or the actual temperatures? If it's only the delta...

You know me, always thinking and asking questions. I don't mean to be a pest.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AaronSS
Oh cool! Another 300whp FWD LNF!

Bill, I was not aware of the connection between the sensors. Are the sensors themselves joined, or is it just contained in the housing with the MAF? Are there seperate connecting wires? I'm sure you know what I'm getting at. Could the sensors be seperated or the same wiring be used with aftermarket sensors? Also, does the ECU make calculations based on the delta, or the actual temperatures? If it's only the delta...

You know me, always thinking and asking questions. I don't mean to be a pest.
Thanks! We're having much love with LNF right now

The IAT1 sensor is housed in the same casing as the MAF. A separate IAT sensor could be used, and the stock PCM wiring harness cut/spliced/extended.

As for the theory of operation, that's open for further discussion. I don't know if this is fully understood in the Bosch PCM yet.

Are you looking for some benefit other than just a louder Blow-off valve in this pursuit?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM

No. I'm a ricer now. LOL.

I swore I was going to keep this darn thing civil, and now I've got a loud, catless exhaust and I'm shooting for 400+ horsepower.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 AM

Ditto I'm wanting an aftermarket Blow off valve as well...Mightymouse what gives did you forget what I asked from you? Call me..
Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Congrats On The Install !
Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost

P.S.: Sure was fun seeing your HHR make 305 WHP on our dyno

Mustang Dyno or DynoJet?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Former Sponsor

DynoJet. I wish it made that on a Mustang

Not until it gets the turbo upgrade!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks! I was curious. I hope to start tuning in the spring, but on a Mustang dyno

Quick Reply: hahn ic kit installed!!!