2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Hahn Racecraft's Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mistermike
The original 3rd party tunes do not take into account the revised scaling for the different TMAP sensors, so that alone is a deal killer. God only knows what else GM changed. All the aftermarket tunes will have to be redeveloped for the new hardware, as ADM is currently doing.

Bear in mind that the reason most of us are paying GM's price for 2 sensors and an ECM flash is to retain warranty protection. A third party tune will void any powertrain portion of the warranty, and the Bosch ECM has nannies that will rat you out when you reflash it. Furthermore, a canned tune will only get you so far safely, if the person who wrote the tune is reputable.

Warranties mean different things to different people. For instance, I obliterated any powertrain warranty on my GTO by adding headers, supercharger, and flashing a completely different operating system into the ECM well before the 3-36 expiration. Since this car is a weekend warrior, it didn't matter to me. I've replaced most of the driveline with sturdier stuff anyhow, and now have a completely different engine in it.

My HHR is a daily driver, so under that circumstance, the warranty is paramount. Those pursuing the "go fast" hobby with their SS may feel differently.

no doubt about the warranty for the win. i'm glad gm did something for this motor. now,if they get on the ball and do some aftermarket replacement parts,they will have my attention. myself is still not convinced on this gm tune as far as being able to take it further. it's a 100% great deal to get it to retain warranty. my question to gm,(no disrespect to the gentleman that have been giving good info on this kit)is my warranty still good if i bring my car in with upgraded ic and piping,exhaust,dp,intake,and bov??? if they can put it on paper,i'm sold and i'm owned for not waiting for the gm kit .

also like you said,no telling what gm added...i look at that as in how do we know they didn't put a nanny spy to tell them this car has been downloaded with a hptuners??? this for anyone who think they can have the gm tune with warranty and get an hptuners.

if the only thing you wanted was a little more hp and keep the warranty without adding any mods,this tune is for sure the way to go...anything else,i say good luck and be careful. being a person who didn't farewell with gm or my dealer when my car was brand new with problems off the line,i just don't trust gm...
Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
no doubt about the warranty for the win. i'm glad gm did something for this motor. now,if they get on the ball and do some aftermarket replacement parts,they will have my attention. myself is still not convinced on this gm tune as far as being able to take it further. it's a 100% great deal to get it to retain warranty. my question to gm,(no disrespect to the gentleman that have been giving good info on this kit)is my warranty still good if i bring my car in with upgraded ic and piping,exhaust,dp,intake,and bov??? if they can put it on paper,i'm sold and i'm owned for not waiting for the gm kit .

also like you said,no telling what gm added...i look at that as in how do we know they didn't put a nanny spy to tell them this car has been downloaded with a hptuners??? this for anyone who think they can have the gm tune with warranty and get an hptuners.

if the only thing you wanted was a little more hp and keep the warranty without adding any mods,this tune is for sure the way to go...anything else,i say good luck and be careful. being a person who didn't farewell with gm or my dealer when my car was brand new with problems off the line,i just don't trust gm...
For those who already have relinquished their warranty, I'm thinking that by merely replacing the two TMAP sensors, Hahn or ADM should be able to apply the more aggressive changes to the tune that would not be prudent using the orignal TMAPs that would undoubtedly be maxxed out. This will obviously require further study, because at the very least, the scaling values for the TMAPs have been changed, but if it's anything like applying a 2 bar MAP sensor to a Delphi E41 without rewriting the operating system, a whole boatload of values need to be rescaled. ADM has recently posted that they have been able to "lift" the GM reflash, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Since I'm an EFI Live user, there's little chance of me being able to delve into the much hated Bosch ECM. (When Bosch says SS, they don't mean Super Sport).