2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:56 AM

I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?

A new addition to the HHR Family as of today, 3/3/2015 a 2010 HHR SS Black exterior and interior, automatic trans, original owner, local, bought local, traded in local, serviced at the same place purchased so even though it had high mileage I bought it since it was so clean etc.

Anyone have any advice that directly pertains to this 2.0 Turbo set up mainly and any other quirks that others might have experienced and then solved etc.

I'm all ears and keyboard fingers ready to go. I'll shoot a few pictures when the plates come in the mail in about 2 weeks or so. Meanwhile I plan to read, listen and learn.

93,000 miles and change to date, runs quite well in the ''Fast Department''. Was a daily commuter for the original owner, did about 19,000 miles a year. Most miles on country roads and freeway, no old lady borrowed it to go to church on Sundays either.. It was driven like any of us would drive it.

Well today, 3/4/2015 it ran great upon first start up in the AM and when taking a friend for a demo later in the day it ran like hell, set a code PO 234 which before I bought it was there but cleared, however all was well with the performance even with the check engine light on.. Now the check engine light is not on but it holds back under full throttle and no action is seen in the turbo boost section of the on dash monitor readout that occupies the older auxiliary storage for maps etc center top dash area below the rear view mirror area.. It set a code but does not have the check engine light on ''Yet''.

I will be checking for sticking linkage since this seems to have been intermittent so far, for how long I don't know but I have test driven it a number of times before purchasing it [ 5 times this month] and today was the first no power code PO 234 it set. The one that was in it each time I drove it I had plenty of boost and power. How quickly things can change but any help from members as always will be appreciated before I commit to taking it to the dealer.. I will carefully find a dealer that has someone good with Turbo's first though and relay any findings back to HHR.NET for any others to utilize. 77471 zip code in Texas if anyone knows one in this area.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

First off - you got the cel code wrong - it is p0234 (not PO 234 - it's a ZERO not the letter O).

Grab the search tool at the top of the page and do a look for p0234 - there's a fair amount of info there, including https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...solving-45270/.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 AM
Technical Moderator

Why do people think clearing codes is the same as fixing the problem?

There is a link in my sig that might help you.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Nice ride , I simply Googled P0234, it is in reference to a turbo over boost condition, possibly due to MAP sensor malfunction or the exhaust system has a leak at a gasket or a hole in the pipe somewhere, or the Boost valve failed
However, You just got the car, take it back to the dealer you bought it from, they will have to fix it!

Last edited by Oldblue; 03-05-2015 at 06:30 AM. Reason: More info added
Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Why do people think clearing codes is the same as fixing the problem?

This sounds more like a lying, cheatin', car dealer cleared the codes to cover up the problem. These worthless dirtbags do it all the time.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Now tell us how you really feel about car dealers!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanks "Whopper", I did not know the zero or letter O difference.. thanks for the link to information.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 PM

Thanks Don Brew, in this case the vehicle had to be inspected which included emissions here in this county of Texas and it won't pass with a code and if a code is cleared and does not reset during the test then it passes inspection. No other motivation I can think of other than not selling the car with a ''Check Engine'' light on either.

I did not clear it when I drove it, brought it home and scanned it for codes during the road test, left it like it was hoping to use that in negotiations on price.

I can see another HHR learning experience on the horizon as soon as the weather warms up around here.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 PM

Thanks for your input David Ladewig.. I knew about the problem way ahead of time, came back and road tested the car a number of times over the month plus it was there.. They knew about it, I knew about it and anyone else did too because it was road tested ''As Is'' .. Check Engine light ON.. Turned off for inspection and sale, problem not fixed nor active all the time, ''Intermittent''. I don't think this one is going to hurt too much..

I know I bought it right despite the problem and am willing to fix it regardless of what it takes, they wanted to move it and so it goes we met at a price and it is a done deal.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM

''As Is" purchase ''Old Blue''.. Thanks for your input, much of the rest in other replies will tell the story.. Thanks for the compliment too, everyone likes it as far as how it looks. Next step is ''Impress'' them on the way it runs..

A lot of the internet information mentions clearing codes etc with temporary relief but a lot mention loose hose clamps and wire connections etc which have to be ruled out first before anything else is suspect since this problem comes and goes at will..

Quick Reply: I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?