2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 PM

DrLoch, I know the numbers on the dial were in the 20's and need to do the next WOT run on a back road so I can pay attention to the screen more or put someone in the ''Co Pilot'' position to chart things while I watch the road for more precise information.

I appreciate your input and will keep this thread up to date until the problem is solved.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM

''FiremanGeorge''. The photo is fine and thanks for the time and effort to contribute to my learning experience in this matter..

I now know what is inside the ''Guts'' of that by-pass valve without having to perform any ''Exploratory Surgery''... Since the turbo works fine when it works I might just do an overhaul by way of new parts replacement across the board if it is not too cost prohibitive..

I like the license plate you have, had a similar one when I had my 1956 Chevrolet Nomad. ''56 Nomad'' back in the 1970's..
Old 03-07-2015, 12:37 PM

DonBrew, here is a link to some Texas Inspection information if you want to browse through it. I am not an inspector but only know what inspectors have told me during inspections, this might make things clearer for you if time allows you to read any of it..

If that doesn't help other related links will be on that same page in Google Search.

Thanks for all input in this and matters/problems in the past as well..

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/intern...orms/VI-51.pdf
Old 03-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Just a little thought........

The car, by chance, doesn't have an aftermarket air filter does it?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Just a little thought........

The car, by chance, doesn't have an aftermarket air filter does it?
Snoopy, this vehicle is Bone Stock, only LED lights for tail and back up and running and interior too seem to be aftermarket.. forgot license plate lights too are LED.. I don't know what the front has for lighting yet. Looks stock to me though.

Thanks for the interest and probably tips if it was an after market set up..
Old 03-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Your understanding of the OBDII emissions testing is flawed.

The State Inspector plugs his adapter in and READS the output; it does not cause the CEL to illuminate or not.

Evidently your locality is like mine: no "emissions testing" beyond visual inspection, but any warning light fails "SAFETY". If I lived on the other side of the river the fact that I have a P0420 stored and all of the OBDII monitors are "incomplete", but no CEL would fail emissions.

Maybe the misunderstanding is the difference between "OBDII test" and "OBDII monitor".

Nobody uses "sniffers" up the tailpipe anymore except for fudging tests (OBDII anyway). You can pay to have your exhaust "sniffed" if you think the cars OBDII computer is in error. OBDI is different.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Your understanding of the OBDII emissions testing is flawed.

The State Inspector plugs his adapter in and READS the output; it does not cause the CEL to illuminate or not.

Evidently your locality is like mine: no "emissions testing" beyond visual inspection, but any warning light fails "SAFETY". If I lived on the other side of the river the fact that I have a P0420 stored and all of the OBDII monitors are "incomplete", but no CEL would fail emissions.

Maybe the misunderstanding is the difference between "OBDII test" and "OBDII monitor".

Nobody uses "sniffers" up the tailpipe anymore except for fudging tests (OBDII anyway). You can pay to have your exhaust "sniffed" if you think the cars OBDII computer is in error. OBDI is different.
Don Brew, tail pipe sniffers are used to this day here in Texas, other members out there from Texas should be able to verify that. Used for cars older than 1996 until they are 24 years old, then as mentioned before it goes visual and checks the usual lights and wipers etc too.

Plugging in to the Assembly Line Diagnostic Connector does not turn the Check Engine light on, only monitors what is going on in the system of rhe vehicle during the test.

If there is a failure of any component or any component is already defective it will show up via that link, why else connect to it?

If the light comes on due to a failure during the test the vehicle fails.

See a cut and past from the link below if you want to read up on how it is done in Texas,

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...ists092005.pdf

If the OBDII system detects a problem with the vehicle, the MIL will “turn on” and a fault code, also known as a
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), will be stored in the vehicle's computer.

If this happens, the vehicle will fail the inspection.

The Emissions Tests Results section of the VIR (see below) will show the status of the light and fault codes stored in
the computer.
MIL Cmd Status: On
Fault Codes:P0130 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank1 Sensor1)
STEP 1

The MIL is the warning light, located on the dash, that “turns on” when the OBDII system detects a problem
with the vehicle.

This light has to be working properly to pass the inspection.

The results of the MIL CHECK step (see below) are shown on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR).
WHAT IS THE
OBDII
TEST?
For more information visit www.airchecktexas.com
MIL Engine On: FAIL
MIL Engine Off: PASS
MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) CHECK
STEP 2
READINESS MONITOR STATUS
STEP 3
FAULT CODES
Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 AM

The scantool does not make the light come on. The fault does. The light Will be on before the tool is plugged in.

What they mean is a. If the light is on you fail or b. If the scan finds a fault You fail.

Because people think turning the light off fixes the car many Will clear it then go for inspection. And wonder why they failed.

OBDII is post 1996, OBDI is pre 1996. I didn't think I needed to say that Re:sniffers.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:42 AM

Don, No one is saying the light will be illuminated when connected but will illuminate during a test if a failure occurs, that will fail you here in Texas, will also register the code number and all information goes direct to Austin, Texas live time...

Back to working on the SS Turbo problem which is the reason the original owner traded it in, too many "Cannot Duplicate Problem'' reports, I have them so my guess was right. Have the service records from new to trade in and make ready for me as well..

Spring like weather down here, dry and high 70's today and more to come tomorrow..

Too much time spent on this Inspection thing, believe me if the light comes on when the test is being run you fail here in Texas in any Emission county...

Faults can be stored without a hard failure that will illuminate the check Engine Light too. It all ties together.. This car I have failed to set the light until the problem occurred 3 or 4 times but a code was registered or stored in the computer, I picked it up with a scan tool. Didn't clear it and rechecked it each time the problem happened again, all is shows is the number of times the same code is set, when the light finally did come on it just added another number of occurrences to the same P 0234 code..

Back to work now.................. Thanks for your input etc.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:46 AM

Just a thought? Do you know if the SS ever had the GMTU (General motors turbo upgrade) They had a lot of problems with the installation being done incorrectly.
I mention this because you said when your turbo was working your boost was in the 20s
The stock boost on the SS is usually 16-18 and with the GMTU the boost is 20-23.
That's what makes me think of a GMTU installation. Thhey had a lot of problems with it not being installed correctly. one issue was their is very little room for the lower bosh 3 sensor and it can rub, so they had to turn it a 180% I think? the other problem was the wires they were at first just crimping the wires and they would come loose, so they then said it has to be soldiered. now the kit comes with plastic clamps that clip.I have the GMTU on my SS and I had the same exact problem you are having. now that it has been installed correctly, no more issues. Do yourself a big favor and have that checked!
Tim

Quick Reply: I think I found out why this HHR SS was traded in, I think?