2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

I'm gonna get cold air into this motor or else!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
Highly improbable. Folks, you're talking about the "magic bullet theory" all over again. The water will have to travel approx 3 feet of snaking tubing that travels UP the engine bay. Water doesn't do that very well... especially the anti-gravity part.
"Yeah Guy's, What Were We Thinking" , Geez.....
Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 PM

I remember seeing ( years ago ) a check valve of sorts for a CAI. Does anyone know if it's still available, for those who are concerned about water getting to the engine? You'll have to let us know how it all works out, but it looks damn good so far.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:39 PM

i thought i remember seeing a test somewhere a few years back that you basically needed to submerge your intake to get the water sucking up into the intake tube. i dont think there should be any issue with this setup unles as said he was in the pond.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM

they still do make it.

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
I remember seeing ( years ago ) a check valve of sorts for a CAI. Does anyone know if it's still available, for those who are concerned about water getting to the engine? You'll have to let us know how it all works out, but it looks damn good so far.
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by DLVRNIT
If Stuck in the Pond Don't Forget the Pole .....
If I get stuck in a pond, I'm calling you for a ride home. Then I'm calling my insurance company to come total the car.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Yeah, Uh-Huh ! I Can Hear the Insurance Adjuster Now ! Who Took Out the Fog Lights and Put these Port Holes in the Front Valance ?????

Last edited by DLVRNIT; 09-29-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM

its not gonna be a big gulp of water that gets sucked up. if you follow someone it makes a fine mist. thats what will get sucked up and wet the filter. you have to drain an air compressor in texas every 10 min cause of humidity and thats not when its raining.
gravity doesnt mean much when you are pulling a slight vacuum on a tube.
its going to pull in water. if its enough to damage the motor is the question

just use one of these and you should be ok
http://airflowsnorkel.com/
Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 PM
XXL

I genuinely appreciate the discussion, but you guys are really over-thinking this and you're getting stuck in corner cases. "What if someone shoves a garden hose into the inlet?" "What if you're caught in a flash flood?" "What if water suddenly becomes so much lighter than air that it floats up the tubes?"

Originally Posted by garagebuilt
its not gonna be a big gulp of water that gets sucked up. if you follow someone it makes a fine mist. thats what will get sucked up and wet the filter. you have to drain an air compressor in texas every 10 min cause of humidity and thats not when its raining.
That's because you're compressing huge amounts of air to fit into that little air tank. In doing so, you're also compressing huge amounts of humidity in that air, which produces water droplets. It's no more water than was in the original air that was being pulled into the compressor.

Also, since you mentioned the humidity in Texas... do you guys have cars breaking down on the side of the road all over the place due to humidity? It's a leading question... I was born there and lived there for the first 35 years of my life. They don't (note: they break down for plenty of other reasons, and apparently fire is a popular roadside vehicle activity). As such, I don't expect the "humidity" to cause me issues. I'll keep your snorkel suggestion in mind... especially if I end up in that pond I spoke of earlier.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:13 PM

in my opinion the only thing you would need to worry about is hydrolock, which only occurs when you submerge the intake. yes some mist will get to the filter but it will be minute.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
They don't (note: they break down for plenty of other reasons, and apparently fire is a popular roadside vehicle activity).
Ok smarty pants! How are you gonna keep fire outa them holes then?What happens if someone spills gas on the ground and someone else throws out a match thats still lit and all this happens right in front of you? JK

Actually I really like what you've done. I like my lower driving lights too much to sacrafice that. I would like to see where you ran the tube for the drivers side though when you are finished.

Quick Reply: I'm gonna get cold air into this motor or else!