2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Installing an Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
I think they are hooking it to an intake tube for the vacuum source.
I don't know what the acronym PnP stands for.
PnP is Plug n Play. I think their problem is that Ford designed their system with a VPS (Vacuum Pressure Sensor) built into this line (which seems the equivalent of our fresh air in line). It is causing them some CEL problems UPR 2015 F150 Ecoboost Dual Valve Catch Can Install with UPR Clean Side EPS System - Page 7. Maybe that VPS needs to monitor pressure with flow in both directions, so a check valve is not possible.

Whatever Ford problem this "clean side" can is addressing, we don't have the problem, and so don't need the can. From what I can tell, anyway.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:13 PM

Just as an update I installed a Harbor Freight small air compressor filter on the line going to and from the turbo inlet. Thinking the filter I made was wrong. After 200 miles no oil in the can.
I even used a 1/8" pipe tap and installed a plug where the drain valve was to make sure there wasn't going to be a problem in that area.
I'm using a K&N intake pipe to the turbo and it doesn't have a "snorkel" built into it like the OEM tube.
Maybe that's why no oil is in the can? The "snorkel" does help force fresh air into the crankcase.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:55 PM

Remember that your catch can in that line can only catch vapors while boosting pretty good.

Since crankcase pressure is higher when boosting, due to more blow-by, and vacuum from the turbo is weak, I'm guessing that flow in the (fresh air in) line tries to reverse direction, closing the check valve. I don't think fresh air enters the crankcase when boosting.

Maybe you don't spend much time boosting hard?

But here's another thought. Maybe, without a fresh air in line, your line between the valve cover and turbo is being used as a fresh air in during high vacuum, and the manifold vacuum is pulling the vapors back into the crankcase before they can get to your catch can. Without a fresh air in, the turbo would lose that Tug-O-War I've been theorizing about.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:58 PM

I found a PCV valve that I like for use as a check valve, PCV141, under $5 at AZ.

It required some modification(grinding off the threads) to fit my 11/32 hose on it. I did most of the grinding with the bench grinder, frequently cooling it with water, then chucked it into my cordless drill and filed the rest.

Here is the routing for when I begin phase 2 (1 catch can, vacuums teed together with the check valve).

Phase 3 will be simply switching to the other vapor draw point.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Remember that your catch can in that line can only catch vapors while boosting pretty good.

Maybe you don't spend much time boosting hard?

But here's another thought. Maybe, without a fresh air in line
You are correct, I don't boost hard a lot. I do have a fresh air line to the intake pipe but like I said it's a K&N. There is no tube inside it to help force fresh air into the valve cover. I should install the OEM pipe and see if that helps.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:36 AM

Oh OK, I misread. You have the fresh air in, just not the "mini ram air" snorkel.

The OEM pipe is certainly worth a try. I wouldn't expect it to help much, but maybe some.

Do you have a check valve in the fresh air line? I think it's important. Without one, some vapor is moving towards the can, but some is moving in the fresh air line, too, the airspeed of both is slowed, the vapor more likely to drop out of suspension. Like trying to run 2 showers in a house with low water pressure, neither shower works very well. The check valve keeps the 2nd shower turned off. Oh, and the second shower isn't hooked up to the drain pipe (your catch can), it's just dumping water where you don't want it. Not a perfect analogy, but...
Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Oh OK, I misread. You have the fresh air in, just not the "mini ram air" snorkel.

The OEM pipe is certainly worth a try.

Do you have a check valve in the fresh air line?
Yes the check valve is there.
I wounder if not having the snorkel in the pipe a vacuum could be made by the air passing by the flat hole inside the K&N pipe.
Like blowing air passed the lip of a hose to pull fluid through it.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 AM

RJ, I'm trying to understand your routing. Where are you feeding the catch can from, the manifold PCV valve check valve? It must be an old guy thing

As far as a good check valve look here, Intercooler Pipe Fabrication Not very expensive and they do work well.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM

Nice setup RJ, your research will be vital to my installation! I started the install of the upgraded fuel lobe cam. I pulled the cam, tried to hold the timing but it jumped off the crankshaft! So, once I get back home I'll be pulling the front cover to reset timing....yay!

Catman, I'm not sure how well just the open hole forces air into the pcv. Sounds like the K&N tube is like my ZZP intake. Nothing protruding into the interior of the tube. What I was thinking was cut it off and put in a new tube. I would imagine it would be easier on the K&N, seeing as it's plastic. You could just JB weld in the proper tube.

Not sure how much you need to worry about the forced air though. Seeing as you haven't blocked off your intake pcv. You'll be getting fresh air pulled through via manifold vacuum.

I've got the design of my cans pretty much nailed down, just need to build them! Wish I could utilize someone's machine shop while I'm on the road. I hate being away from my tools.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 AM

Post #200! Who would've thought! Thanks for all the help guys. Had to double post to steal #200

Quick Reply: Installing an Oil Catch Can