2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

K&N HHR SS AirCharger 63-3069 kit install report…

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 AM

K&N HHR SS AirCharger 63-3069 kit install report…

Well, I thought that I made a big mistake shelling out $300 for this kit.
I ordered it at one in the morning, when I was half-asleep, thinking that
the kit included a completely new air fiter box assembly too.

The kit arrived, & I really wasn’t impressed with the pieces in the box.
I even emailed K&N for a return authorization number, & got one.

Well I had a lot of free time on my hands, before I could send the kit back, so
I decided to try out the filter.
I also ordered another E-1989 filter from Summit to return with the kit, since I
was using the ‘sealed’ one, that came with the kit.
I had been trying out a larger paper filter in the stock airbox, & really wanted
to see how it compared. It was equal to the larger paper filter like I thought.
Oh well, I have another filter to mess with.

Then I started reading the install instructions, on how you have to remove the airbox,
to replace the intake pipe. No way, I bet that I could remove & then install the new intake pipe, without removing the airbox. I was right, you don’t have to remove the box.
It was easy….

Once I had the stock pipe out, I started to compare the two, to try & figure out, why K&N went to all the effort of producing a new pipe. After studying the 2 pipes I could see a big difference just before the K&N pipe goes into the turbo inlet. The K&N pipe
was much larger & smoother in this area.

Ok I thought, I’m just going to try & install the pipe, just to prove to myself that the airbox didn’t need to be removed to install the new pipe also. It went in place real easy.
Now with it installed, I just had to try it out, to see if I could “feel” the extra 9 HP
that the kit promised. At this point, I still intended to return the kit, & started wondering
how much the restocking fees were going it be with the kit being ‘slightly’ used. I really didn’t think that I could ‘feel’ that 9 HP.

When I started the engine, I noticed that I had a different, & better engine sound, it really makes the engine sound better. My driveway is at a 30’ angle, & I proceeded to back up & out of it the way that I usually do it. But wait, why does it feel different backing up ?? It moved better than it normally does. Maybe I ‘goosed’ it a little harder than I normally do ?? When I started to drive down the street, it was really peppy, at all throttle positions. What’s going on here ??

It’s something that every driver wants, THOTTLE RESPONSE ………
Yes, THOTTLE RESPONSE……. I love it…..
At all speeds, much, much, better, THOTTLE RESPONSE……
I CAN’T BELIVE HOW MUCH BETTER THE THOTTLE RESPONSE IS NOW…..

My HHR SS is an automatic with the GM stage kit. I also have HPTuner software,
which makes the stage kit even better. So, I’m just blown away with what this new plastic intake pipe is doing… The stock pipe is so restricted at the turbo inlet, that it is choking the throttle response of the engine. You can not imagine this, unless you yourself, did a before, & after test, with this K&N inlet pipe. The car has been a ball to drive with the stage kit. Now it is just so much more fun to drive with the greatly improved throttle response. And oh yes, my butt-meter say that there is some more HP going on, up on the top end, how much, don’t know, feels good. I would pay $300, just for this new intake pipe, just for the throttle response, it is that good…

Now on to some ‘scanner’ testing with my HPTuner software. Some HHR SS show LTFT, (Long Term Fuel Trims) , at -8, on both the stock tune, & the GM stage tune. Mine does… Which means the engine is running rich, & the computer is ‘pulling’ fuel. You want your LTFT to be at, or near zero. Plus or minus 5 , is a-ok when tuning. Changing to different filters doesn’t show any changes, at least I couldn’t see any changes with my HHR SS. But, this K&N intake tube changed my LTFT plus 8.
I had tuned my HHR SS to zero LTFT, & the pipe put me at +8.

What this means to everyone that has a stock or GM stage tune, is that you’re probably sitting rich at -8. If you add this pipe, your LTFT will be at ZERO, without any tuning.
That is what really makes this pipe even more super for the average HHR SS.

So you get much, much, better throttle response, some more HP, & better LTFT.
What I thought, that the $300 K&N kit, was a bad deal, was really worth every penny….
Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Banned

Interesting info. Do you have a photo of the stock pipe compared to the k&n?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 AM

Maybe its the weight difference, your $300 lighter and you want it to feel better.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brwbier
Maybe its the weight difference, your $300 lighter and you want it to feel better.
lol
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Click on pic for bigger view of stock pipe:

Link for K&N pipe:
http://www.knfilters.com/images/l/63-3069.jpg

Link for newK&N lid with filter for sale:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...158#post393158

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 06-27-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 PM

So the kit only comes with the pipe, filter, and lid?

If so, that is unusually high even for a K&N kit. I guess the stock air box is good as is then.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 AM

You really have to monitor LTFT's for and extended period of time to judge the effect of something that influences A/F. Most intake modifications alter the MAF table, and sometimes it take the fuel trims days or even weeks to catch up, depending on how many load cells are involved and under what conditions. The E69 is even less well known than other common ECM's as only a tiny fraction of it's brain has been cracked by HPT and others.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by mistermike
You really have to monitor LTFT's for and extended period of time to judge the effect of something that influences A/F. Most intake modifications alter the MAF table, and sometimes it take the fuel trims days or even weeks to catch up, depending on how many load cells are involved and under what conditions. The E69 is even less well known than other common ECM's as only a tiny fraction of it's brain has been cracked by HPT and others.

I have found the opposite to be true with the E69 ECM.
Trends accrue fast, & stabilize quickly, over a short period of time.
Maybe it's due to the factory wideband in place, on the LNF engine.
I'm still holding steady at [-.8] on my LTFT, at all mapping points, many days, & many miles later, after install of the K&N intake tube.

I too can't wait for HPTuner to 'crack' more code
We've been spoiled with what HPTuner has done with the LS engines
Old 06-25-2009, 09:29 AM

I have to wonder if the gain is simply from the filter or does the pipe add some value too? Any thoughts? After reading this thread I'm on the verge of buying this sucker.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 AM

yeah that was my thought, could it just be the filter that is providing the throttle response? I have a K&N intake on my Cobalt SS and its great, but this is just a molded plastic pipe, a filter and a cover (that is horrible looking) and is more money, Summit has it listed at 293.00 and will not ship till 7-10-09. I have to think about this alittle more before I make the purchase. I know that with the exhaust im going to need an intake, but im still in sticker shock with this one. And can you used the stock cover with it....the one from K&N is UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Quick Reply: K&N HHR SS AirCharger 63-3069 kit install report…