2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

More toys for the SS. A quick Exhaust How To.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM

More toys for the SS. A quick Exhaust How To.

Well, it only took like three years to acquire this exhaust, the wait was worth it.

SInce Hahn has moved to Florida, Bill and Aubry have been working very hard to bring their new shop and workers up to speed, and I can tell you I think they are almost there!

I just got their 3" Exhaust. It is no longer a hacked Cobalt exhaust, and this newer model has everything where it needs to be.

The install is a breeze, and can be accomplished with just a set of ramps, if you don't mind doing the job in two stages. Total time and tool investment is minimal. I used a Sawz-all, a pair of 15mm sockets, and a pair of 17mm sockets, and if you start with the back, it should take you less than an hour. The reason I say to start at the back, is you need to cut the stock exhaust free, to allow the stock DP to flex to be able toget at the bolt near the top of the tunnel.

When starting in the back use the reciprocating saw to cut the stocker off about 6" foward of the Sway Bar. There is ample room to get a blade in there, and at this location it is relativly flat with nothing else to worry about cutting through on accident, this still gives you plenty of room to slip the bend over the axel and sway bar when pulling out. Next remove the stock muffler and resonator, and replace with the new segment. you should be able to get the new piece in without touching your cut end. The new set-up only requires 2 hangers instead of the three stock ones. I just doubled up the one closet to the bumper.

The front is just as easy. Switch your ramp placement and drop the remaining pipe from its lone hanger. This allows you to get at the top bolt leading off the DP, otherwise break out the ratchet extensions and a universal joint, and watch your knuckles. The next step is to add the provided flange to the DP, then slip in the remaining piece, tighten two bolts near the axel, and a t-bolt at the flange, and viola your done!

This took me about an hour, and my only complaint is that I should have just jacked up the front instead of using the ramps. from where the DP bolts are, the car is still pretty low. Although, I had to use a pretty good amount of force breaking the stock bolts loose, and a jack might not be safe.

The Product.... Well, I don't work for these guys but I am a fan and have had several of their products in the past and now I'm a proud owner of part #3 for the SS. I still have the DP to purchase, but I will only do that when I can purchase another tune at the same time. Everything I have added so far is playing nice with ECM and the GMTU, and I never saw the need in tunning after each additional part. The fit and finish of the pipe is very nice, and the welds are expertly stacked. The product comes spotless, wrapped in plastic, and encased in expand-a-foam. But the best part is the etched, and fully welded tip. Overall the product is beautiful, and heavy duty. I think it weighs in the neighborhood of 46lbs. The other really cool thing about this design, is the ability to quickly drop out the center section, for when you want to annoy the neighbors, or take it to the track.

ONE NOTE: Bill told me they make 50 Cobalt exhausts to every 1 HHR exhaust, and they are no longer hacking up a Cobalt Exhaust to sell to us, so be patient, if you buy one of these from them or TTR.

I am leaving for NY on a roadtrip in the morning with the SS. The exhaust system should have nice mellow rumble to it by the time I arrive Saturday.

Here is a shot or two, I wanted to take more but damn those batteries!

As for the stock exhaust, I'm gonna see if the guy who always delivers pizzas to the house wants it(for free), I left enough room to be welded or clamped.
Attached Images    
Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 AM

good stuff

Hahn's exhaust is definitely ONE thing they got right.

how's the fit over the rear axle? do you have rotated mounts? are you lowered?

the reason i ask these is that i have the magnaflow 3" catback, i'm also lowered on Pedders & have the Powell Race Shop stage 2 rotated tranny mounts and the catback is crazy under the car. it hits the exhaust tunnel, the rear axle is constantly hitting it and the tip isn't straight in the rear bumper exit......... but that's because the magnaflow was developed on a bone stock car.

Last edited by rallycobalt06; 04-01-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Hey Rally,

There is plenty of room in the tunnel and no issues under the axel. This design comes with 2 T-bolts, but I never had to adjust them. I just took it out the box and stuck it in. Really nice piece.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

oh HAHN how this makes me laugh. Yeah i guess the exhaust is one thing they got right im sorry you had to wait that long but im glad youre happy. Looks like a nice piece but they aint gettin none of my money, but ive been down this road before lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 AM

This might be the first Hahn thing I ever buy, only because its 3" and SS. Is it a true 3" exhaust the whole length of the system?

How long did you have to wait to recieve it from the time your ordered it?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Rally, my exhaust tip isn't centered in the bumper cutout either. I'm on Pedders as you know and the weird thing is it rubs slightly at idle when I'm alone in the car (the flange for the rear section rubs lightly right at the axle hump). Now if I have 2-3 people in the car the exhaust DOESN'T rub, ever. 0_o Now Foolmoon, do yourself a favor while driving: turn on Comp. Mode + drop the tranny in "I" gear. Now coast to a stop and listen to the way the exhaust burbles as the tranny downshifts. That's one of my favorite sounds! I hope you enjoy your Hahn exhaust as much as I do!

Later
Allex
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
This might be the first Hahn thing I ever buy, only because its 3" and SS. Is it a true 3" exhaust the whole length of the system?
Yes it is; same thing with the DP they sell.

Later
Allex
Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

Mine isn't hahn but it burbles in stereo !
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth

it is 3" all the way through. Or look into the SW (stainless works) exhaust. Its what I have and really like it and its 3" all the way through as well
Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by asanti
Yes it is; same thing with the DP they sell.

Later
Allex
After owning 2 ZZP DP's, catless and spun metal Cat I will never buy anyone elses. Awesome quality, great craftsmanship and beautiful welds.
No way I would pay that much for a Hahn piece.

I've seen a Dejon Catless, I could weld better blind folded.

Quick Reply: More toys for the SS. A quick Exhaust How To.