2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

NEWS FLASH....I lost my Turbo tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Angry NEWS FLASH....I lost my Turbo tonight....

Got out of work late, one of those days, but walking towards the SS bought a smile to my face, as this would be ba great time to do some minor testing on the back road.
Did one test in "D" in Launch control as usual, lit the tires up with part throttle and boost spiked to 23 psi......works for me, get on the highway just a normal drive home on the pike, about a mile before my exit, no one on the road doing about 65 and hit part throttle, bring it up to just over 100 mph, no problem felt really strong. Come down the exit, through the toll and onto the road home. Now I notice that upon acceleration, there is no real power like usual, did this a few times, and then I realize the turbo is not working, plus no blow-off from the BOV. The SS is driving like a regular 4 cyl vehicle Even passing gear is non-exsistent.
Now during the week the CEL came on druring the ride to work, engine ran fine, no DIC messages, so I cleared the code with the Aeroforce gauge, although I did not register the code. Nothing since, and tonight, no DIC messages, engine runs, gets up to speed, but no power.....no TURBO...
To tired to go into the garage, but, the only thing I could think of is the BOV spring that I installed may be to much for the Turbo, maybe the diaphragm came dislodged....as always thoughts and comments are welcome.......
Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 AM

Limp mode does something similar, and may or may not throw a CEL. Other possibilities are broken boost tubing or some other sort of boost leak. I wouldn't be so sure that you've completely lost the turbo just yet. Chin up till you're sure.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 AM

sounds like the turbo inlet tube on the thottle body came off, several other had the same problem after they did the stge tune upgrade, reconnect the tube all the way down on the throttle body.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by tony326
sounds like the turbo inlet tube on the thottle body came off, several other had the same problem after they did the stge tune upgrade, reconnect the tube all the way down on the throttle body.
Maybe this is something I need to check........do I need to get under the car for this? Where will I find it? I've had this limp mode happen several times since the kit install.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:43 AM

on a side note.....

in another post, members have stated including myself, that we would hear a high pitched grinding sound from the engine, possibly sounding like the Turbo....This sound was happening for a while and way before I installed the spring. You would hear it more pronounced in the AM when the engine was cold, and during deacceleration. As soon as you put your foot on the gas the noise would stop, leading me to believe that there is or was some type of leak...good info in the above posts, have to check out further....and thanks for the replies......appreciated.......................... ...Tom
Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 AM

just did a quick check....

did a check on the tubes and connectors, did notice that towards the bottom of the IC tube along side of the radiator that it goes into a flexable rubber tube that has alot of play for it to move, which may be normal. Have to get underneath and check that the connection is secure. Could not feel any cracks or breaks in any of the tubing so far.....so the saga continues....
I just want my boost back.......
Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Did you take out the spring you installed, to look at the diaphragm? If you think that is the source of the problem then I would check there for sure.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by orbitalrage
Did you take out the spring you installed, to look at the diaphragm? If you think that is the source of the problem then I would check there for sure.
no not yet, but will be doing later today or tomorrow, as so far all of the other connections seem to be ok, if the diaphram is torn or punctured that that would be a good thing, because the problem would be solved....
Old 04-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Talking News update....i got my turbo back

just completed the following:

1-undid BOV to check the diaphram, all was well, reinstalled the new spring
2-retighten all connections on top
3-decided to check the IC T-bolt connection at the Intercooler, what a PITA to get to the bolt.....guess what, although felt tight on the tube, the T-bolt took about 3 turns or more with the rachet to tighten, talk about not being secure........I should have readjusted the T-bolt clamp so that I would be able to get to it from the opening in front of the radiator, instead of underneath the car, but that is for another time, as I was to excited to see what the results were!!!!
4-went for a test run, and let me tell you, and this is no BS, this the best the SS has ever ran, since I bought it 1 year ago. I kid you not, that connection must have been not secured from day 1 or just worked itself loose this last year. THE BOOST IS BACK.....and I am a happy guy
I could touch that accelerator in any gear and just break the tires loose, the engine even sounds stronger than it ever did, can't wait to do some updated 0-60 runs......Of course this test was done in Launch Control as usual, but I am sure it will be a great drive even with the TC engaged
BTW on some accelerations I was almost going sideways reminding me of my 04 GTO
I am just so happy happy happy, can't you tell, don't have to take it to the dealer....wooho.....
And thanks for the replies and suggestions, as always greatly appreciated.
Later............................................. ....................Tom aka MR. ANAL
Old 04-04-2009, 07:26 PM

Where is this bolt located? I understand that it is hard to get to but can you get a pic? I think others would want to check it...

Thanks,

Quick Reply: NEWS FLASH....I lost my Turbo tonight....