2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Not aiming for huge power - what tune should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM

Not aiming for huge power - what tune should I use?

Hey guys - I need some help with deciding on tune options. I've been reading through many of the related threads and I'm still all confused, so I just thought I'd ask a question specific to my situation. I'm also completely new to the world of turbochargers and to aftermarket tuning. But I hope I'm not repeating any already asked questions here.

Anyway, here's my dilemma -I picked up my silver 2008 HHR SS 5M (woo!) in in December 2011 with 36k miles. It's at about 42k now (lots of trips to school in OH from IL). The car put me into major debt for the time being, so mods have been primarily only wish list items so far. It's still completely stock. With my low budget, it's gonna take a while for me to get the car exactly how I want it. I'm likely going to be buying bits and pieces here and there, getting bolt ons and smaller modifications one at a time (I want to start with a catted DP and catback exhaust, seriously considering HAHN).

I read a handful of threads about tunes and seems like 2 main ideas are common. First, is with the 2.0 LNF, you really should tune it after you install any modifications so that the engine doesn't relearn or throw codes. And second is that HP Tuners and Trifecta are, overall, the more common or popular options. However, I am not going to be tuning for the sake of massive power gains. I really only want to be able to tune so that I can adjust my engine after I install each new product (whether it be an intake or something much bigger). I wouldn't mind gaining a little power through a tune, but that is not the goal.

So a couple questions come to mind. First, is it smart (while buying one mod at a time) to start by getting a handheld tuner or downloading some tuning software, so that as each mod comes my way I already have a way to adjust the engine/computer? Second, with my specific needs in mind, which would you guys suggest? I specifically am looking at other SS guys, especially ones who have actually tried tuners they are recommending.

Thanks a lot guys, and again, hope this isn't a repeat thread. - Dan
Old 05-21-2012, 02:41 PM

I wouldn't bother with a catback exhaust, only real gains would come from the downpipe.

I vote for Trifecta. If you buy the cable with the original tune, minor adjustments in the future (CAI, downpipe, etc) there is no addition cost to adjust the tune, you would just need to log a run and he can tweak the existing tune.

I have been running the GM Stage 1 upgrade for 5 months now, and just purchased a tune from Trifecta. I would have liked to go HP Tuners, but I would need to purchase the suite (which was a lot of money last I checked) and then find a tuner online that could tweak it. Overall would have easily been 2x the cost of the Trifecta tune.

Yes HP Tuners can net you the biggest power gains, but I think you would be more than satisfied with Vince @ Trifecta.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Agreed, HPTuners is a lot to spend if you don't want big gains. You could try to find someone local to you that has HPTuners and have them tune you.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM

I have the HPTuners suite and am using it to currently tune my SS. There is a bit of a learning curve, but if you're patient, I believe it is absolutely the way to go because it leaves the "power" in your hands to do as wish. I currently have a version of the GMStage tune loaded on mine, anything more and the clutch hates me. The car runs great and I get a bit better mpg (if I keep my foot out of it).

I pieced mine together as you are planning to do. It worked just fine, but watch out for CEL's. Might want to get you a OBD-II scanner so you can clear them on the fly. My biggest challenge was throwing the ZZP CIA on. The computer hated that until I calibrated for it with HPTuners.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM

ok first i have a couple of questions? you say you want to mod the car with downpipe and catback and want to tune for it but you don't want huge gains? if you are content with mild gains just keep the car bone stock and get a tune....that would be the cheapest route and you would still see considerable gains while keeping things safe.

secondly just to give you a little insight on how the lnf ecu works is it torque based...meaning whatever the commanded torque and airloads are set in the ecu that is what the car will put out. this is why adding a catback, a down pipe, air intake, and such don't net any gains without a tune. yes the car breathes better and such but the ecu still sees the commanded airloads and torque tables and that's all it will put out.

all that being said check out my post (2nd post in the thread) here for some helpful info on tuning options.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...569#post608569
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM

Trifecta "budget" tune, $200 spent and mine performed excellent and data-logged on the safe side! Raving reviews on the Solstice/Sky platform for this tune. If you feel safer exchanging a few logs for some more money, well that's fine as well.

Only issue I had was the intake I had installed that wasn't tuned for, thus being my own fault and not Vince's. If you plan on staying stock intake, do not worry.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schulte
Trifecta "budget" tune, $200 spent and mine performed excellent and data-logged on the safe side! Raving reviews on the Solstice/Sky platform for this tune. If you feel safer exchanging a few logs for some more money, well that's fine as well.

Only issue I had was the intake I had installed that wasn't tuned for, thus being my own fault and not Vince's. If you plan on staying stock intake, do not worry.
I'll agree with Joe here , 290hp,334 ft lbs at 200$ would please average joe
Don't waste time on fatback
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by EcotecRacer
I'll agree with Joe here , 290hp,334 ft lbs at 200$ would please average joe
Don't waste time on fatback
$700.00 plus for a gm tune
and only $200.00 for basically the same thing through Trifecta?

Days like this I wish I did not have a warranty, then I would immediatly go with the $200.00 tune.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 AM

I will also add I remained on stock sensors with the Trifecta tune as well, so no hassle there, granted I bought the pigtails and didn't splice mine at all anyhow, it's just nice to not worry there, load a simple tune on and be done.

In terms of warranty Vince can write it to be hidden I do believe, where you can switch back and forth utilizing comp. mode. I may be incorrect there as I didn't select said option.

Personally if I was the OP that's the route I'd go, maybe toss a ZZP downpipe into the mix if you seek sound, and see how you feel after the fact. I suggest ZZP solely due to pricing too, as other units cost a tad more and my ZZP fit and finish is great. With those mods alone I was able to pull a 13.8 out of mine last season.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

I think some folks are making assumptions about what the OP wants. I'm reading the OP to mean that they just want installed parts to play well with their car, not much more. The biggest issue would be intake modifications. Other than that, they might be able to get away with no tune. Vince could be emailed to find out if he would do a cut-rate tuning where nothing is done except to level the fuel trims. If not worried about warrantee, I stand by my original assertion. Run the parts desired and find a local HPTuner to log the vehicle. If car happy, keep money in pocket. If car not happy, see if they'll level the fuel trims for less than the cost of a Trifecta tuning.

Last edited by Breadfan; 05-22-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarify my syntax

Quick Reply: Not aiming for huge power - what tune should I use?