Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Couple of Questions for a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Couple of Questions for a Newbie

So I took her home Friday and already put 500 miles on her.

Couple of questions if you guys don't mind.

1. Car has the PDIC and one of the screens has A/F ratio. Is this a wide band or narrow band. I will be amazed if it is a wide band but if it is I know which display will always be on. Either A/F Or the one with Knock Retard. STOCK IS WIDEBAND! AWESOME. SEARCH BUTTON REALLY DOES WORK!
2. Tunes: I have heard amazing things about Trifecta. I would like to keep my warranty and have not been able to find the following. If I get their tune that I put in myself with my laptop can I switch back to the stock tune and have it pass the GM techs as if the computer never been messed with. If not Sounds like stage 1 is for me. Any recommendations for shops on the peninsula in CA to do the stage 1?

Thanks for any help.

Eric

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 12-27-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: resized pic to site guidelines!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM

ok here are your options.....trifecta....hp tuners...or gms1.

with gms1 order it from crate engine depot...they are the cheapest...and take the kit to a dealership and have them install it. now with the new plug and play gms1 harnesses im sure it is pretty easy and you would end up with less chance of any issues......in the past gms1 has proven to be a complete pain in the azz thus a waste of money imo. this will net you about 275ish whp and about 315ft/lbs wtq give or take on an otherwise stock engine

now there is hptuners or trifecta. either way with either you need the software and cable to install the tune in the car. you can purchase it for either. a trifecta cable and software is 200 iirc and hptuner software and cable is 500. with trifecta you have the option to send the cable back and be credited back the 200 bucks if you choose to do so. with either you have that option to purchase the software or go to a tuner who has hptuners or to a trifecta dealer. if you can afford to do so.....keep the trifecta cable for future datalogging.....or purchase the hp tuners program rather than simply going to a tuner and having him tune the car. this way you have the tools necessary to datalog and keep the car running optimally...as well as help diagnose any future problems/issues

now....................

with trifecta only vince (the owner/man behind the trifecta label) will tune your car. he will send you a base file tune for the mods you have...you will datalog with the supplied cable/software and send him the log. he will tweek tune...you datalog...send back...tweek tune...you get the idea....keep doing that till you and vince are happy with the car/tune. the selecta tune iirc is 350 plus 200 for the cable and thats a total of 550 bucks......minus 200 if you send the cable back to him (again i don't recommend sending the cable back) this will net you about 290-300whp and about 325ft/lbs wtq give or take on an otherwise stock engine

with hp tuners you have more of an option on who tunes the car...there are several reputable tuners in the lnf (turbo hhr ss/ turbo cobaltss) community who can tune you. the same process will apply if you have the hptuners software/cable the tuner will send you a base file...log....send log to tuner....tuner sends adjusted tune....rinse and repeat till you and tuner are satisfied. an hp tune from a tuner on this site will typically run about 200....maybe more...maybe less. plus the hptuners software/cable...and thats about 700 bucks.....now if you go to a hp tuners tuner he can tune you with his software and will probably charge you about 300 bucks.....once again i strongly recommend you have your own cable/software for any future issues in which having the cable/software can help you diagnose, as well as changing the tune at any time you wish...including dealership visits which i will explain later. hp tuners will yield you about 290-320whp and 325-350wtq on an otherwise stock engine

i personally prefer hptuners...i believe there is more to be had from hptuners than trifecta. i own the program....i can change tunes whenever i want...i can make changes myself if i choose to do so and am not limited to only one person controlling the tuning like trifecta.

now for warranty info........ any non-factory/oem ecu programming will void your powertrain warranty.

gms1, being a factory available/installed upgrade, will retain your factory powertrain/bumper to bumper waranty.

trifecta has the selecta-tune option....to explain.....you can activate the tune via either the traction control button or cruise control button. it is said that with the tune NOT activated the dealership cannot see any non-factory ecu programming. this is not to say that while on a test drive they could not press both/either buttons on purpose or accidentally and activate/find/discover the tune. (one of the reasons why i recommend having the cable/software so you can completely remove before any dealership visits). if the trifecta tune is discovered it will void your powertrain warranty.

now with hp tuners...the tune will always be on/active unless you reload the factory ecu tune/programming. i recommend buying/having/keeping the hp tuners cable/software so that you have the ability to change tunes, tweek your current tune (either yourself if you are capable or your tuner can send you an adjustment), or reload the factory tune if you desire or if the vehicle needs to make a visit to the dealership. with hp tuners the way you write a tune to the ecu, you open the desired file and click "write calibration only".....do this with all tune rewrites, adjustments, etc. if you need to go to the dealership...open your stock ecu file and click "write entire"......by doing a write entire, the dealership will not be able to see that the ecu has been changed/modified/flashed.

now neither trifecta or hp tuners is fool proof in retaining the factory warranty. if the dealership desires they can dig deep and see that the vehicle has been tuned. typically if powertrain warranty coverage is being utilized, gm will request a tech2 snapshot of the vehicles ecu calibration. i know for a FACT that by doing what i have explained with hp tuners that the dealership will not be able to tell any ecu flashes/modifications have been made simply by viewing the tech2 snapshot. i have had a new turbo and an entire new, crate engine installed, and both required the tech2 snapshot. i cannot speak first hand for trifecta in this aspect but for the last 2 years or so it has been said that it cannot be seen as well.....but i have not read or heard an actual confirmation of this in the way that i have described in my hp tuners factory warranty experience.

for the love of pete....make sure there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car before you tune it. if you try to tune out problems you will only end up with bigger problems. i strongly suggest new plugs, a seafoam treatment, and a boost leak test before getting tuned.

all power numbers are estimates. power will increase with supporting mods/bolt ons. the best bolt on for power is a catless downpipe. it is also highly suggested that you replace the hotside charge piping/intercooler piping with an aftermarket piece that is made of metal. the cold side charge piping is decent from the factory and really is not necessary unless huge power is made or you would like to relocate the factory MAF sensor from the air intake to the lower charge pipe. air intake upgrades are extremely limited on our platform. aftermarket blow off valves are not necessary as the stock turbo already incorporates a factory bypass valve....vent to atmosphere blow off valves create tuning head aches and typically require the MAF sensor to be relocated to the lower charge pipe as stated above. cat back exhausts really don't net much gain unless you have an aftermarket big turbo. an intercooler is also strongly advised as the stock unit has plastic end tanks that are prone to cracking/busting with the increased boost pressure of any kind of tune, as well as being more efficient and less susceptible of heat soak.

well that was a mouth full. hopefully i have answered your question(s) and any other questions that may arise. if you would like a list of hp tuners send me a private message and i can assist you with that as well if you have any other questions feel free to post or send me a pm.

congrats on the new ride.....happy modding and merry late xmas and happy new year to ya
Old 12-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Premium Member

I think he covered it pretty well. I did stg1, was fun, then Trifecta, way more fun. That's a fine looking station wagon you have there.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I think he covered it pretty well. I did stg1, was fun, then Trifecta, way more fun. That's a fine looking station wagon you have there.
i have new wheel plans like we talked about a while back.........stay tuned for the sickest setup ever known on a hhr
Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 AM

I absolutely LOVE that color!