2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Water/Methanol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 04:06 AM

Water/Methanol Injection

Has anyone used a water/methanol injection kit? If so, how well did it work? What have you noticed after running it?

I just found a killer deal on a AEM 30-3300 and want to know any pros/cons.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:38 AM
Deceased

aboard Timpanzi!

A quick poke around using our Google linked Search function brought up the following, just click the link below and read away.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/esp_...ction&type=gcs
Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 AM

Yeah, but that thread is just taking about how this guy "is gonna get this system or that one".

I'm curious as to what results anyone has seen with a methanol system.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

I only recall a couple of members here trying the meth setup. You might get more info from the folks over at the CobaltSS site.

Fwiw. Unless you're running some serious mods where that system may be needed, then it's probably just "overkill" if you want it for a daily driver car.
Regardless if it's a great deal.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:39 AM

That's probably true. But when I get it tuned and am pushing more than 15lbs of boost, it can't hurt.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:47 AM

Long term effects on the engine, as far as what I have read, are very bad if the kit is not done correctly and a proper tune is not done. If you REALLY do your research and be careful about the install as well as tune, you should be alright. IMO its just another system to install and another possible failure point and, if something goes wrong, the cost to fix it would outweigh the money saved on gas by installing it. When it works its great, when it fails its catastrophic.

From the AEM website; "Note: AEM holds no responsibility for any engine damage or personal injury that results from the misuse of this product, including but not limited to injury or death caused by the mishandling of methanol."
Old 07-08-2016, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Timpanzi
That's probably true. But when I get it tuned and am pushing more than 15lbs of boost, it can't hurt.
FWIW I'm boosting 22 -23lbs with no meth. A good LNF tune, basic mods and a E47 mix of fuel is a very good bang for the buck.

Do some searches on 2005HHRauto's mods he's got a lot of this figured out. In general do a lot of reading.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Timpanzi
OK. If that's what you believe, then go ahead and install it.

Fwiw. There are many of us SS owners "tuned" in varying ways and pushing more than 15lbs. without any injection systems. Even the tame GM Stage 1 will give you over 20lbs. without them even mentioning needing a system to go with it.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 AM

I understand there are ramifications of running it incorrectly. I also understand that there are plenty of people that run higher boost and do not run these systems.

But if I can add additional cooling and knock resistance, while adding a few extra hp, why not do it? Im not talking about running 30 lbs of boost relying solely on this system for protection.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:04 PM

Good points. You sound like you might be an Engineer or techie type. Just be prepared to do a lot of monitoring/testing. Ambient temp plays into this as does ambient humidity.

My brother runs it in a turbo Miata - in CO, where it's always dry, and he doesn't play in the cold. Consider things like that before you jump in with both feet. Can you easily substitute increased percentages of ethanol, which could help with the cold?

Just some questions. Out of the box is OK. Just trying to fill you in why there are fences in some areas...

Quick Reply: Water/Methanol Injection