2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:58 AM

Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages

I had a very experienced mechanic listen/look to my 2010 HHR SS w/ a Cold Aid Package.
He stated that the loud noise was a Chain Tension Problem. At this time he stated that the industry has sold us a bunch of crap. As he explained whether it picks up on the right or left side it was up against a body panel and it was bringing in HOT air from the engine compartment made sense to me. Does anyone have any comments. He also stated that the stock set up delivers more cool air than the Cold Air Upgrades

mblandsr (Mike)
Old 10-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I agree, I have the stock air box with two 3 inch cold air hoses feeding it, that outside the engine bay air filters thru a K&N drop in filter then flows thru a 3 inch tube to the TB.
The TB can only flow so many CFM so give it as much air as possible it will handle it from there, as for removing the stock air box lid so it sounds good, well that's up to the individual.

Did you get the tensioner replaced?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:10 AM

Cold Air Packegs are full of HOT Air

Could you take a picture of your setup and post it.....

Thanks

mblandsr (Mike)
Old 10-01-2015, 04:41 PM

I also agree. GM built a good set up for our engine. Mess with it and expect problems, unless you really know what your doing in the tuning department.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Here is from the driver's side
Attached Thumbnails Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages-image.jpeg  
Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Here is from the passenger side
Attached Thumbnails Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages-image.jpeg  
Old 10-01-2015, 10:15 PM

That's not an SS engine bay. Totally different animal.

The inter-cooler cools the charge after the turbo heats it up, that's why a cold air intake on most turbo charged cars will not make a huge difference. Turbo just heats up the air anyway and inter-cooler is designed to cool it down as close to ambient as possible. The better the inter-cooler the cooler the charge.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Administrator

My point is that there is only outside air coming in, not under hood air , so on an SS the inter-cooler will be more efficient.
LS 2.2 or SS 2.0 the air box is in the same position and the air intake hose brings in air from the same place on the inner fender.
My pictures is to illustrate that an extra fresh air hose can be added and that the filter box should be closed
Old 10-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, the stock SS airbox is very efficient as far as a cold air system.

Since the OP, mblandsr, has a 2010 SS with the RPD, this is an easy thing to check some temp numbers with.
The RPD has an inlet temp gauge reading. On my SS, the inlet temp will generally stay within 3-5 degrees of the outside temperature. Usually, cruising down the road, the 2 readings are about the same temperature. I'm running the stock airbox on mine.
Now, if you're running an aftermarket cold air setup and the inlet temps are greater than that 3-5 degrees, then I'd say it's not as good as the stock airbox.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Administrator

This system picks up outside air just like my home made system just over top of the drivers side of the rad, for $350.00!

High Performance Exhaust Systems - Chevy HHR Turbo Cold Air Intake

seem to me no better than a stock system in fact I agree with FMG the stock system works just fine!

Here's where the air boxes are similar, they both sit on top of the valve /cam cover, they both have room to add a hose to take fresh air into the air filter box
this is a picture from the driver's side
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages