2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:41 PM

Here's a shot of my wifes "sewer pipe" intake. Flows more air but definitely at a hotter temp. I've got the upgraded intercooler but my IAT is normally 10 degrees above ambient. I do plan on designing something that brings cold air in. It's a huge downfall on the ZZP turbo upgrade kit.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Administrator

This is what I'm tiring to illustrate, the hot under hood air is not optimal for best combustion
I used to have flexible dry hoses going from my hibeam light pots to a box I fabbed to encase the air filter on my 67 Mercury Comet Cyclone drag car. It loved the cold air, sort of a ram air like the GTO thru the hood scoops, but more Olds 442 from under the front bumper.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
Here's a shot of my wifes "sewer pipe" intake. Flows more air but definitely at a hotter temp. I've got the upgraded intercooler but my IAT is normally 10 degrees above ambient. I do plan on designing something that brings cold air in. It's a huge downfall on the ZZP turbo upgrade kit.
I can believe that. It's one of those "What were you thinking" deals. Does ZZP's tune still offset the timing based on IAT temp?

BTW how does your wife like the car?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Administrator

What about piping to the outside of the engine bay to the area behind the head lamp and mount the air filter under the headlamp behind the fog light? Other than the bends in the hose slowing down the airflow? Possibly sucking water and road dirt into the filter and clogging it faster it might work?
Naw I still think the stock air box works best on these wee beasty's
Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 AM
RF2

Stock air filter flows just fine. Ive got a vacuum gauge on the air filter box and under full throttle it reads 0. The stock air filter will flow more air than you think. With the stock intercooler normally I see 10 degrees under ambient air temp after supercharger depending if the water meth is turned on. Look close the m-62 is hiding under there.
Attached Thumbnails Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages-img_1158.jpg   Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages-img_1160.jpg  

Last edited by RF2; 10-03-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
I can believe that. It's one of those "What were you thinking" deals. Does ZZP's tune still offset the timing based on IAT temp?
Originally Posted by DrLoch

BTW how does your wife like the car?
My wife LOVES the SS! She became a car nut over the summer, I never expected that. It's really been an awesome experience. She really wants to take it to the track but I don't think we'll be ready til next season.

ZZP's claim is that the upgraded intercooler makes up the difference. Obviously not, not @ 10* above ambient. I really need to feed it with outside air properly. I have no idea what the ZZP tune looks like, I'm sure it still uses IAT to determine available timing. HP tuners is on the back burner until I get its other problems sorted out. DP needs refabbed and my lower charge pipe needs cut to length.

I'm seriously behind on my post updates, our herd has grown to 3 HHRs! I've been working 7 days a week basically all summer. I'm really not even sure how we pulled it off. Regardless, I've got some questions to toss your way. I'm going to try and get a new post up about having "too much boost".
Old 10-03-2015, 01:20 PM

It certainly makes life a lot easier when your better half is into whatever your doing. Especially when it costs money... or it takes time away from spending it with her or the family. You think she likes it now wait until you put a really good tune in it although I would suggest you get a LSD for it so it's not such a hand full.

Which IAT were you looking at when you seen 10 above ambient? We have 2.

Too much boost..... what are you boosting too? Most people would think that there is no such thing as too much boost, that is until they're sweeping up the parts or picking pieces up out of the oil pan. I also hated it when I had an oil pan failure and you run over some of the parts with rear tires, or in the case of boat motors the bilge is full of parts and oil. This stuff isn't for the timid and the education is expensive. It's a good thing when you realize something isn't right.

I posted in your catch can post asking if you got that all sorted out. I acquired another LNF that was suppose to have near zero street miles on it. By looking at it so far I am in agreement. The beauty of it was that it came with everything attached. AC Compressor, Alt, starter, all sensors, Turbo, ECM, down pipe, complete engine harness. Will get pictures once I get it on the engine stand. That is this weekends project. It's been raining here for what seems like 2 weeks now. Getting inside projects done.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Administrator

RF2 nice blower install, I would get the TCM ,ECM plastic cover back in place to keep any water off .
Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 PM

@ the Doc!

I'm not sure which IAT I'm seeing, I have my cheap little scanner for live data now. I will check what the scanner is actually calling the PID. Either way, colder is better! I'm probably going to remove some metal next to the headlight and build an airbox up there. Pretty much wide open. I'd like to build an inlet on the fender but that's up to the ol' lady!

There's also a new thread about my boost problems http://https://www.chevyhhr.net/foru...h-boost-54673/, curious for your input there.

By the way, that is one slick Impala! Ever had it dynoed or down the strip?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=DrLoch;788174]

"Which IAT were you looking at when you seen 10 above ambient? We have 2. "

I did not know there were 2 Dennis. Do you know where these 2 are located and which 1 the RPD gets it's info from ?
I'm always willing to learn any tech info on the LNF setup.

Quick Reply: Are We being Tricked by Vendors & Cold Air Packages