2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Cut off my muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Panel08
how about we all just stay on topic and keep our opinions about anything else to ourselves unless asked
OK, staying on topic...

The OEM GM muffler is a pretty efficient design!

If anyone has actually looked into it, like I have, including "cutting it open" to see what the actual design is, you'd realize that they have done a pretty good job with keeping noise down and eliminating restriction.

If you think the OEM muffler is restrctive, you'd better think again. I've actually done tests that recorded pressure related to the stock muffler and a few aftermarket ones. Bottom line... OEM is pretty dang good!!

But, if you believe that noise levels equal HP....

If you want sound, go for it, but don't expect any real gains, either in HP or MPGs.

Just trying to help here, not give anyone a hard time.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 PM

BTW, for orientation.... That pic above is with the bottom up and inlet side on left.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 PM

woolyworm

i promise you i gained at least 1.5 mpg by removing the oem cold air intake tube on mine , maybe 2.5 at certain speeds. it was restrictive , it was not about cold air. if you drive 275+ miles , 6 days a week , as i do , then you may save $50 a month , as i do , by removing the woolyworm. maybe not. but mine was restrictive. or you can pay $300 for an aftermarket. some of the aftermarket also suck hot air. cgs is one that does. it is so much less retricted now , that i think it might be getting too much air at certain rpm/speeds. i did also add a napa gold air filter at the same time. i assume that part of the gain came from that , but not all of it. it's not like i'm trying to sell you anything. maybe i should put a how to kit on ebay with a $300 price. it would be more believable then.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks joeR yea I didnt expect HP gains from cutting it of just something a little better sounding but what I really want is something more muscle sounding as for the CAI I gotta agree with CATDADDY but idk anything about the HP gains with that either just felt like a good idea at the time
Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Well, without a before and after dyno test, it's impossible to prove any HP "gains" from any of the previously mentioned mods... And without a before/after test involving the same exact drive using the same amount of gas pedal modulation (which would seem close to impossible) it's impossible to prove any gains in MPG...
Of course, in the end, to each their own, these are your vehicles, do want you want. Remember though, automobiles have come a long way in terms of technological advances, and while of course some are better then others, I believe the Ecotec to be a pretty well designed, efficient engine.
I just bought my HHR (2.4l), but I'm quickly realizing that most of the engine "mods" available don't or won't really make much of a useable difference.

It can be hard to admit that your car doesn't have great options for aftermarket parts, but sometimes you gotta get real. SON.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:09 PM

They said the helicopter couldn't fly either............. and according to modern paper theory,neither can the bee!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Hummm...

We all get a little chop crazy sometimes. I have done that with two other cars with 4-bangers.., but it will never get close to my HHR. I am considering another Hooker AeroChamber series muffler. They run about 80 dollars and they sound fantastic, not to mention the throttle response I got out of it. Not to say it might actually improve my HHR's performance. But like that guy said, what's wrong with a good sounding car.?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Please stay ON TOPIC and no flaming allowed. Thanks.

Oh come on! If someone wants to "txt" message, do it on the darn phone! This stuff hurts my eyes!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Man stop complaining
Old 06-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wxman
Holy cow, isn't that like a $10,000 fine in california? lol
Should be a $100,000.00 fine for being stupid and inconsiderate to others.

Last edited by SindyDix; 07-27-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: stop the flamming

Quick Reply: Cut off my muffler