2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

IMCO T924 muffler installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:40 PM

There you have it - one man's trash is another man's treasure!
Old 07-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

Maybe it's just me. I've never really been into used parts, especially things like brake components, mufflers, tires, and so forth.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 PM

Well, a "new used" IMCO muffler that was only on for an hour or two...I'd have no problems with that.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
All he is really saying is that it is not cost effective to have a dyno test done for a muffler that sells for less than $50. It's counter-productive and money that could be better spent on research and development of other products.
That's assuming you only want the muffler for sound reasons. If you're looking for performance as well, it would be R&D.

I'm going to see if I can get a deal on some dyno time. If I can, I'll suck it up, go get a stock dyno, spend the money for the muffler and welds, and then another dyno with as close to the same conditions as I can get.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
And yes I understand my saying this online might "hurt" my cat-back sales, but that's how I feel about it.
Hey!!! Looks like Mikes feeling a bit better!!! Welcome back ... let the FLAME WAR BEGIN!!!! (just kidding )

Bottom line, EZ - just as others have stated... I wouldn't waste your dough on dyno pulls *just* for a muffler. "If" you can get a deal ... AND you have the money- you "might" want to do a 'power-adder' shoot-out . In other words, buy an IMCO, buy a Gibson, and buy an intake (or two) . Dyno the stock set-up, just the intake(s), just the IMCO, just the Gibson, then EVERYTHING (intake with cat-back... intake with IMCO)... whew.

All-in-all that'd run around $1500... not all lost $$ though (just the majority), as you'd be able to e-Bay off a couple of the items you don't use. Agreed- it's a LOT of flow to just find a few results- but it'd get you what your looking for!

From my point of view... if sound ISN'T your concern- you should foot the bill for a cat-back- knowing they'll make the 'most power'... as opposed to a FULL exhaust system. I've heard other members say they like the POWER and sound of their Gibson, but the 1st production release has *major* fitment issues. I'm assuming the 2nd release is coming soon - that's why they wanted Mikes car. Second - invest in an intake. Search the forum for (flame) threads... you should be able to make a decision from there. Also- as I understand it... the CGS unit is going through a (slight) upgrade as well. Mike should be able to provide more info on that front. Either way you go... an aftermarket unit WILL out perform the stocker.
I'm assuming you'd net somewhere around ~10hp (give or take) from investing in these components... money well spent when compared to the dyno..
The problem we ALL have is that although there are aftermarket (performance and otherwise) parts for the HHR- the selection is still pretty much slim pickin's for the time being. I REALLY realize this when coming from the Mustang realm... what a difference (and for some reason Chevy aftermarket parts cost a LOT more!?!?!).
Good Luck and keep us posted on any progress/additions and opinions!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:03 AM

After reading the reply's, my concern is whether the POWER gained from the GIBSON CatBack is worth the money; when comparing it to the IMCO.

I have already bought and installed the CGS intake that I ordered from SOCALHHR. I can already feel the difference. I have ordered an IMCO; which should be here next week. My plan was to simply 'sell off' the IMCO, and buy the GIBSON CatBack. However I do not want my HHR sounding like a "16 year old's" hyped-up Dodge Neon. ( I only say that because many of the postings have talked about a 'sound' issue )

Anyhow, so now my plan is to have the IMCO installed when it comes in. If the HHR still needs an added boost, then I will look at the GIBSON again.

So before I install, can anyone tell me the 'approximate' POWER and SOUND difference between:

a>.. CGS intake with IMCO muffler

-VS-

b>.. CGS intake with GIBSON CatBack

If the POWER difference is minimal, then I will stick with the IMCO. If the POWER difference is major, then I may go with the GIBSON.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 07-17-2006, 06:33 AM

Smile Got mine installed Friday 07-14-2006

IMCO T924 took 20 minutes and $79.00. Sounds great and took short trip about 300 miles. Got 30.9 MPG and seemed to have a little more power.