2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Need for acceleration for highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM

I'd go with the supercharger, but if you're lookin to save some money, forget about ZZP. Just piece together your own setup, and get a tune from Trifecta. You can easily push 8psi on stock internals too. As for top speed, I've gotten mine up to 130 before I backed off, but the rps were gettin up there. I actually got mine on the road today for the first time in a while, I forgot how much fun it was to drive... And nobody expects a non SS HHR to be fast
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Well, my thoughts are simple, I like just the stock set up nothing fancy until the warrenty runs out, and hot air and boost are nice and neat but I hate turbo lag, injection is nice works and very well, but I'd ratherr have the blower!! I ran a Paxton belt driven on my '56 Ford Crown Vic 312 Y-block 4BBl daul exhaust got maybe 225 to 270 HP, (no dyno ) I had an 80 Turbo Trans Am, ( hence the turbo lag comment) I ran a 6-71 Blower on 572 crate mill in 49 Anglia street machine ( way to much over kill) but man that was my joy ride, still have the stretch marks from the grin from ear to ear/while stomppin on the loud pedal, my point is build it as you want and run 'em for what you built it for! !Go for it , if you prefer a Turbo then built one!! More power to you! stay save, Keep her clean and drive her often!!!

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-28-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: just cause I thought of more to rant about!!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 AM

Turbo lag sucks for first gear but once you are on it and switching gears there should no longer be any lag. For street driving a supercharger tends to be better because of the lack of lag but for highway and 1/4 mile a turbo will tend to get better grin results.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Before you start thinking about the Supercharger or Turbo options, give this thread a read on the Trifecta Tune, it really can wake up an HHR and surprise you with the potential locked away in the Ecotec engine.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=trifecta+tune
Does the trifecta tune unleash more HP and more importantly more torque or does it just give you more power at lower rpm's?
I am assuming they dial in a more aggressive timing curve so i wwould assume you would need to run 93 octane all the time get the most out of it.
It would be nice to see a before and after 0—60 MPH time an 1/4 mile before and after info
Old 01-29-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Does the trifecta tune unleash more HP and more importantly more torque or does it just give you more power at lower rpm's?
I am assuming they dial in a more aggressive timing curve so i wwould assume you would need to run 93 octane all the time get the most out of it.
It would be nice to see a before and after 0—60 MPH time an 1/4 mile before and after info
I don't think just a tune would do much. Correct me if I am wrong but a NA engine's HP is limited to it's displacement, compression, and ability to draw air into the cylinders.

Anyone know if there is a cost effective way to increase displacement in a 08 HHR?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:12 PM

Increase displacement as in boring/stroking? With only 4 cylinders, there isnt much room for improvement, not like a v8.
Turbo or sc would be the way to go I think. It increases the air/fuel capacity, which effectively is like a larger displacement engine. You can always spice it up with a larger than stock turbo or TVS supercharger, but then more engine work might be needed.
Just a tune without forced induction would get rid of the programmed throttle lag, and allow more advanced timing and higher octane fuel, there are members here who are happy with just a tune.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by us11csalyer
I don't think just a tune would do much. Correct me if I am wrong but a NA engine's HP is limited to it's displacement, compression, and ability to draw air into the cylinders.

Anyone know if there is a cost effective way to increase displacement in a 08 HHR?
I am sure the trifecta tune adds HP at certain rpm's I use to sell a lot if the old chips back in the day from hypertech etc and they worked.
Tuning is very important. On any car I was just curious how much actual difference like a trifecta tune would make
Old 01-29-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Increase displacement as in boring/stroking? With only 4 cylinders, there isnt much room for improvement, not like a v8.
Turbo or sc would be the way to go I think. It increases the air/fuel capacity, which effectively is like a larger displacement engine. You can always spice it up with a larger than stock turbo or TVS supercharger, but then more engine work might be needed.
Just a tune without forced induction would get rid of the programmed throttle lag, and allow more advanced timing and higher octane fuel, there are members here who are happy with just a tune.
Yeah that was a dumb thought on my part about the displacement.

I think I might look out for a totaled HHR SS and hopefully get the supercharger for a good price.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by us11csalyer
Yeah that was a dumb thought on my part about the displacement.

I think I might look out for a totaled HHR SS and hopefully get the supercharger for a good price.

It's a turbocharger.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Might check on the Cobalt site.. They came with S/C, & later T/C.

Same motor..

Quick Reply: Need for acceleration for highway