2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

P0171- This one is a head scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 11:09 AM

The internet agrees with me about Bosch sensors. I had a #2 that was stuck high and #1 has a reputation for being erratic. They are cheaper because they are made to get rid of codes for the next guy to deal with.
Knowing that relearn is not possible and still reset it? Tech2/scantool is a dangerous tool in the hands of the casual user.
Don't forget that the P0171 full title is "fuel trim system lean" not "fuel system lean".
Old 08-11-2023, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The internet agrees with me about Bosch sensors. I had a #2 that was stuck high and #1 has a reputation for being erratic.
Knowing that relearn is not possible and still reset it? Tech2/scantool is a dangerous tool in the hands of the casual user.
Don't forget that the P0171 full title is "fuel trim system lean" not "fuel system lean".
I'm ordering a Denso o2 sensor now . I'll see what that does. Thanks again my friend !
Old 08-11-2023, 11:58 AM
Administrator

This is a good kit to eliminate the possibility of air leaking past the injectors

Old 08-11-2023, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
This is a good kit to eliminate the possibility of air leaking past the injectors

Thank oleblue. I did install those when I installed the injectors. I remember having to run back and grab that kit. I dont know why they dont just include the insulator with the injector. My old insulator o-rings looked pretty rough . I'm going to try and dig out my smoke machine and check for leaks that way too .
Old 08-11-2023, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Theservicegroup777
Fuel Alcolhol Content was at 73% - I reset that and it's at .5 %
I dealt with 2.2 FlexFuel weirdness with success and have questions: (Sorry if I missed something already answered.)
  1. How many miles?
  2. How long did you own before the problem?
  3. What scan tool are you using that you were able to reset the stored ethanol?
  4. Any chance you actually sampled fuel from the tank and tested for ethanol % at any point?
  5. How many tanks have you been through since the onset ofmthe problem?
  6. Does the car make a lot of short trips?
  7. Do you religiously turn off the ignition when refueling?

My experience was mostly with P0172, kind of the opposite problem, I know, but I learned a few things, one gem being there is a TSB about various FlexFuels, various years, getting confused about what % ethanol is in the tank. I mentioned it in a couple post awhile back. They basically have no good explanation. This is rare enough that hardly any dealers know about it.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
I dealt with 2.2 FlexFuel weirdness with success and have questions: (Sorry if I missed something already answered.)
  1. How many miles?
  2. How long did you own before the problem?
  3. What scan tool are you using that you were able to reset the stored ethanol?
  4. Any chance you actually sampled fuel from the tank and tested for ethanol % at any point?
  5. How many tanks have you been through since the onset ofmthe problem?
  6. Does the car make a lot of short trips?
  7. Do you religiously turn off the ignition when refueling?

My experience was mostly with P0172, kind of the opposite problem, I know, but I learned a few things, one gem being there is a TSB about various FlexFuels, various years, getting confused about what % ethanol is in the tank. I mentioned it in a couple post awhile back. They basically have no good explanation. This is rare enough that hardly any dealers know about it.
Hey Pulp,
The car had issues when I bought it.
I've got a few scanners including the Tech 2 , but I'm using and prefer the Launch TouchScreen .
Fuel was sampled @11% with Ethanol Vial from RevX.
I ran ethanol free next tank .
I've probably only ran 3 or 4 tanks . Mpg is beyond horrible. Like 1/4 tank to go 15 miles. So I know I'm dumping fuel So I'm trying not to drive it anywhere. I've got other vehicles .
Yes engine and key always off

What is the issue and resolve for the TSB you speak of with ethanol % confusion ?

Old 08-11-2023, 02:57 PM

I will never understand why the injectors come with everything but the insulators and the insulator come with everything but the injectors. you have to buy 2 kits and toss half of one in the tool box.
I had to break a couple of the insulators to get them out, they were solidly coked in. Then cleaning the ports was challenging.
I cannot find any TSBs re: alcohol content, except for one that discourages anything greater than E10 on non-FF.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Theservicegroup777
Hey Pulp,
The car had issues when I bought it.
I've got a few scanners including the Tech 2 , but I'm using and prefer the Launch TouchScreen .
Fuel was sampled @11% with Ethanol Vial from RevX.
I ran ethanol free next tank .
I've probably only ran 3 or 4 tanks . Mpg is beyond horrible. Like 1/4 tank to go 15 miles. So I know I'm dumping fuel So I'm trying not to drive it anywhere. I've got other vehicles .
Yes engine and key always off

What is the issue and resolve for the TSB you speak of with ethanol % confusion ?
The TSB recommendation was to reset the stored ethanol value, presumably to 0%. I don't have a Tech II or other robust scan tool so I can't look but the implication is that you can't set it to a specific value, only to zero.

My problem was P0172, car thought it had some unknown value North of 50% for no good reason, set so rich in open loop it wouldn't start. Dealer reset it to 0% for me on my request, no diagnosis, just charged 1/2 hour to comply with my request. Problem solved, car eventually decided it had 11%, no problem since.

Again, I know this is not the same as your problem, but I though there was an outside chance it could provide some insights. Your car is, however, sending way too much fuel like mine did, but mine, once it was started holding the pedal to the floor for flood clearing mode, corrected itself fairly quickly once it went into closed loop. The only reason I can think of for your car to stay so rich is if the O2 sensor is lying to the ECM, or if it has a non-stock program.

Originally Posted by donbrew
I cannot find any TSBs re: alcohol content, except for one that discourages anything greater than E10 on non-FF.
I posted extensively about my P0172, perhaps in more than one thread, and did cite the specific TSB. Maybe I can find it. I also found posts on other forums about the exact same problem. One was... maybe a 2016 pickup truck? Don't remember.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:56 PM

The OP reset to zero but has not driven it to relearn.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:53 PM

Fuel Alcohol content was reset . I dont get to choose a value. Mine resets to 0.500% .

I havnt driven the car because it's still dumping fuel . So it's very unreliable to drive as is and there no sense in driving it when I know it's dumping fuel. I'm only going to cause more damage. The ecm is seeing fuel content is now in normal range so fuel trims should adjust accordingly. They don't, meaning I still have something going on. I've always ran Bosch O2 Sensors with no problems, however Don suggested otherwise so I'm going to try that and see if that makes a difference. It may be the end of the week before I can get around to it though.

Quick Reply: P0171- This one is a head scratcher