2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Back to stock, off comes the Imco muffler...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 PM

if you cant get rid of the combo, i defiantly would like to take them off of your hands!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 PM

Sorry to hear the combo didn't suit your taste...but you gave it the old college try. Back to the drawing board.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 AM

Now I'm wondering if I should pursue putting the T924 on my Wife's HHR or not I can just hear her smart remarks if I did, and then she thought it was too loud or something!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Now I'm wondering if I should pursue putting the T924 on my Wife's HHR or not I can just hear her smart remarks if I did, and then she thought it was too loud or something!
The noise increase is real, though its effect is largly heard through personal bias. In the end it comes from what a person is used to.

Some members who have the muffler on their cars say it hardly adds any noise they can notice, while I reversed gear and removed it.

Does your wife come form a gearhead background? Is she coming from a noisy car? Our Vibe was much noisier than our HHR.

If it is to be a family car with lots of talking between children and parents, I'd keep the muffler stock.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 AM

I'm still wondering if they sold you an IMCO T-924. Would really like to see pics of the muffler on or off the car. While there is a slight interior noise increase, it's nothing like most import "fart cans." In fact, the CGS intake adds more audible noise inside the cabin than the IMCO does.

Can you post some pics of the muffler?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Too bad we cannot run two exhausts and pick from them as we need .
Here's some info from a mod done on an SSR:

Just put a new muffler on my SSR. It's called the SBD Muffler (Silent But Deadly). It's a polished stainless steel mufler with a 12v. motor driven baffle. With the baffle closed it is very quiet, but with the baffle open it has a very loud, throaty roar. You can go to my new web page to see a pic and listen to a sound clip. When you get to my web page, just click on 'SBD Muffler' on the tool bar and it will take you to the page with the pic and the sound clip. The sound clip takes a little bit to load so be patient. I got the last one he had, but he's expecting more sometime around the middle of December. While you're there, sign my guest book. My URL is: http://mysite.verizon.net/res088se/
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kwhopper89

Just put a new muffler on my SSR. It's called the SBD Muffler (Silent But Deadly). It's a polished stainless steel mufler with a 12v. motor driven baffle. With the baffle closed it is very quiet, but with the baffle open it has a very loud, throaty roar. You can go to my new web page to see a pic and listen to a sound clip. When you get to my web page, just click on 'SBD Muffler' on the tool bar and it will take you to the page with the pic and the sound clip. The sound clip takes a little bit to load so be patient. I got the last one he had, but he's expecting more sometime around the middle of December. While you're there, sign my guest book. My URL is: http://mysite.verizon.net/res088se/

wow...that thing sounded MEAN! I'm off to contact the sales rep to see how much they sell this muffler for!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I'm still wondering if they sold you an IMCO T-924. Would really like to see pics of the muffler on or off the car. While there is a slight interior noise increase, it's nothing like most import "fart cans." In fact, the CGS intake adds more audible noise inside the cabin than the IMCO does.

Can you post some pics of the muffler?
I'm beginiing to wonder too if I got the right muffler. With so many folks saying more or less ."aint no real noise increase."

Bowtie asked the same question back on page one, but all seemd fine...... I guess I'll do a tripple check....

I looked at the invoice and it said it was the right Imco that I ordered. I was sick and did not get a chance to take any pics of it on the car. I did however take some pics of it this morning on the grass and in my hand. I'll post them later when I get home. Perhaps I do not have the right muffler, though all should have been right. It looked like the ones in the pics posted here and the car ran well enough with it on.......well, I'll post some pics and write down the code numbers on the side of it if they'll be of any help.

Might as well get to the bottom of this.
Thanks for the interest all.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kwhopper89

Sounds great for the SSR. Not a good idea for the HHR; the main problem is that the HHR likes to see more back pressure than most other engine's. This pretty much eliminates the use of any free-flowing "performance" muffler. We have tested several mufflers and cat-back systems here - none of which provide the performance and sound combination the IMCO offers.

In addition, all the free-flowing mufflers (and cat-back systems), increase noise dramatically on the HHR. It's van-like cavernous interior magnifies the slightest droning from an exhaust system. The IMCO has been our best solution to gain power and mileage while reducing undesireable "droning." Coupled with the CGS, it adds 2-3mpg (if driven conservatively), and provides a nice "healthy" sound at startup and during normal driving conditions. With your foot fully in it, it breathes well without exuding the "import fart can" tone most 4-bangers are cursed with.

Hope it help,
Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
I'm beginiing to wonder too if I got the right muffler. With so many folks saying more or less ."aint no real noise increase."
.......well, I'll post some pics and write down the code numbers on the side of it if they'll be of any help.

Might as well get to the bottom of this.
Thanks for the interest all.

Just for the heck of it I went out and checked the Imco I've had sitting in my trunk for a month. It does say T-924 on the end of the box, and the numbers on the muffler itself are "809241", and below that, in smaller numbers, is "14662"

Quick Reply: Back to stock, off comes the Imco muffler...