2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

HPTuned 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:15 AM

HPTuned 2.4

Just thought I would post a little info on here for the 2.4 people. As you all know I drive a 2.2 HHR but I do hang out with the local Cobalt people. The 2.4 in the SS/NA 2.4 cobalts is the very same engine in the HHR. My friend Richie with the blacked out Cobalt SS sedan recently met up with a member of our AZ forum and got some tuning done on the 2.4 and the Auto transmission with HPTuners. Here's what they have done so far:

Richie's current mods are a cold air intake and a muffler swap to a Flowmaster 40 series. He also as the stock fuel injectors from a SS/Supercharged cobalt. Which went up from about 24# to 34# injectors. Through HPTuners they found out that the stock fuel injectors on the 2.4's are almost at 90% IDC (injector duty cycle). That is BAD!!! It wears the injectors out VERY fast. The Fuel Enrichment, which is the kick in the pants you feel (NOT the VVT), is activated at 4500 but doesnt peak until 7500 rpm STOCK!!! Not too great when your stock redline is @6500. Swapping to the SS/SC injectors has dropped the duty cycle down to 73% which is awesome! That means they can add more timing. Anyone that has tuned ANY type of car can tell you with a high revving 4 banger more timing=more power. They raised his stock rev limit to 7000rpm and firmed of the auto trans by 3-5psi which made the trans shift like a Manual. They have done some fine tuning with the engine as well and have the Fuel Enrichment program activating at 4000 rpm instead of 7000!!!

Results are::
His car SCREAMS now. Trans shifts like a power shifted manual. He's going to get a trans-cooler to help. We raced a few days ago and WOW! Before from a dig he would take me but I would catch up and stay with him. From a 40mph roll we would drop and I could get a decent jump on him and he would be fighting to stay with me. NOW from a dig he takes me a just keeps going! From a 40 roll I still jump on him but when my power drops out at 6500 and I shift he pulls even and when he shifts he pulls past me!!!!! Tuning is incredible with the 2.4's and they just keep messing more and more with it and getting more and more power!!!!!

For factual evidence there are no Dyno slips but track slips are a plenty!! His best run in Tucson thus far was a 16.3 consistantly. Now with major tire spinnagehe still ran a 16.1!! His trap speed went from 85-86 to a 88!! He is definately making MORE power!!!

All in all he hasn't spent much either! Intake was $60 from ebay, Muffler was $80 from autozone, and the injectors were FREE!!! Anyone can find the stock SS/SC injectors on the Cobalt boards for DIRT CHEAP!!! Like $40 or less! I definately support the HPTuners program and not the "tune in a box" like so many others are selling and here's why....

With tuning EVERY engine is different. My 2.2 would react differently to a tune then anyone else on here. HPTuners is more personalized than any other tune out there. Its awesome! I can't say it enough! I cannot wait to see if and when they can start messing with the 2.2's. It is great to know people and I am quickly picking things up with the program so when it comes my turn I will know exactly what I am looking at! Woohoo!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been seriously thinking about getting mine done. Now I see I should get a couple of things done before I do! Does sound worth it. Can anyone tell me how there 2.4 Auto ran after having thiers flashed/tuned.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:47 PM

i have followed the 2.4 Hp tune with upgraded injectors and they will be getting numbers soon, from what i hear hp is the best way to go.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Jesse, his auto runs fine. When he's just cruising it shifts nice and tight. When he's hard into it the trans shifts hard and fast! Amazing difference for these cars.

Upongame:: Pykostevo is the one tuning Richie's car. He's in the Phoenix area and does AMAZING work with HPTuners! We have several SS/SC cars trapping 107-108 with some decent mods. Those trap speeds are on par with Evo's which puts these cobalts in the 13 second category!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM

i know with this i am waiting for mike to get the injectors and tune his cams i want to know what we put down n/a.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM

What is involved in swapping the injectors? Does the system have to be bled or anything? I am definitely interested
Old 02-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Sweet! More Power!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Now find a way to tune the 2.2
Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM

I won't say this tune is better/worse than any other. But, I can say having mine tuned made all the difference in the world, raised the rev limiter to 6800, new shifts points, tuned for 93 octane, and some other stuff I really don't understand. WOW, what i difference. I finally feel a that "push you back in your seat" feeling!!

Mine was done by Tune Time who uses Westers(?). Great job, Matt was cool to work with PLUS at Tune Time they'll retune as long as you own the car! To me this was a big selling point.

The main point is that most tunes will make a big difference. Everyone will have their favorite shop/tune like anything else. But to get the most out of all of your mods a tune is a MUST!!

BTW, I'd like some more info on the injectors too. What all is involved in shanging them out?

Last edited by GDZHHR; 02-14-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Sorry, I forgot to comment about tuning. I had mine done at TuneTime also. They use what is considered the best of the flash programs-Weston. I was very happy with it, and as already said-the owner Matt is very knowledgable and a pleasure to work with. Plus, they retune for you. My only problem is that I only got to drive my car for a few weeks before it was hit, and it has been in the body shop for almost a month. But for the short time I had it, it was fantastic. And hopefully this Friday I will be enjoying it again.