2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Injection is Nice, But.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
A&P- How many miles on that 'huffer' ??

Might need freshening up ..
Check the teflon on the rotors. This coating is known to wear away if a water meth kit is used. There is a NORMAL amount of wear on the apex of the rotors, don't be alarmed by this. If it looks like a dalmation, you won't get the full efficiency of the SC. The teflon is coated on these rotors to create a tighter seal between them.

You may want to do a coupler refresh and change the SC oil. Make sure you are outside, it smells like poop.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by 843de
Probably, but a supercharger expert could say for sure, there were some differences in the Redline vs. the Cobalt SS. I think the supercharger assembly is common to both, but the assorted brackets and hardware may be different between the two cars.
Thanks, I showed the supercharger pics to hhrfreek and he said it looked just like his.

I never paid much attention to the Saturns, so that never ran a bell.
His AD did go on to say-
"Up for purchase is a eaton M62 supercharger that came off a 2007 2.0 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, when it had 40,000 miles on it. It will fit all 2005-2007 2.0 Cobalt SS's and 2004-07 Saturn ion redlines. Rotors are in nice condition." He then goes on to say others it also fits and other ecotec applications.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 PM

I understand. You need the intercooler and intercooler pump. Otherwise you with have intense heat soak. The intake has an endplate with ports or the IC coolant circuit. You need these or you're wasting your time.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by sleeper
A&P- How many miles on that 'huffer' ??

Might need freshening up ..

Supposedly 40,000.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by nacademus
I understand. You need the intercooler and intercooler pump. Otherwise you with have intense heat soak. The intake has an endplate with ports or the IC coolant circuit. You need these or you're wasting your time.

I know I NEED other parts, I mentioned that in my first post.

He had sold the radiator and the intercooler a year ago. The car is long gone, he has the Motor and the Trans left.

I printed this pic from the Kit thats available and grabbed what I could. I did not see the Pump, is it located on the Engine or mounted on the car?

Got pics of any other parts you are mentioning?, tomorrow would be the time for me and him to go back to his sisters garage and look, as he took pics of the motor and was gonna post it for sale.

Name:  d0023db5.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  103.1 KB

So basically without the whole car there, I got what I could get, and will get the other parts as I find them. Like I originally said, I am really Not in a hurry to install, Most likely after I get everything together and found it will be late Winter or next year.

I grabbed the alternator and it's brackets for 20 bucks because I thought I had read that the supercharger alternator brackets were offset for the supercharger?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by nacademus
Check the teflon on the rotors. This coating is known to wear away if a water meth kit is used. There is a NORMAL amount of wear on the apex of the rotors, don't be alarmed by this. If it looks like a dalmation, you won't get the full efficiency of the SC. The teflon is coated on these rotors to create a tighter seal between them.

You may want to do a coupler refresh and change the SC oil. Make sure you are outside, it smells like poop.
Thanks, I was advised of this earlier, I have been talking with hhrfreek who just Completed this install using the ZZP Kit.

As he mentioned in his post, if he had to do it over, he would piece it out instead of buying the full Kit. Since I am Not in any hurry, I decided to buy the parts as I come across them.

Just so happened this supercharger was available locally right as hhrfreek posted his install. I contacted him and I took a bunch on Notes before going to look at this.

He also thought the next sized smaller intercooler would Fit the LT HHR easier as he had to do a bunch of work getting the Kit supplied one to fit.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 AM

And dont forget higher output fuel injectors.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by prod
And dont forget higher output fuel injectors.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Congrats on going for it man i just installed my ZZP kit, and it's so much fun to drive now, you're gonna love it
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Rest In Peace

I picked up the Eaton M62 Supercharger this afternoon.

Name:  6b494e61.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  029bc9fd.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  54.1 KB

No play in it and the Teflon coating is in Fine shape.

I twisted the pully back and forth and could not feel any play in it at all. I know there are 3 studs that fit inside the gear and they can wear causing some slop, but none that I could detect.

I spun it around and spins freely without any type of grittiness feel to it, just Smooth as silk.

I used my Ridgid SeeSnake inspection camera to look inside and all looked fine on camera inside.

Name:  2d033a72.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  5.1 KB

In No hurry here on this Mod, i'll collect all the parts needed over time and get everything all cleaned up and ready for when I get the Urge to install.

Name:  497cc04e.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  56.7 KB

Had my oil changed this morning and my mechanic said we could have it installed in a weekend. He said I could bring it into his shop on a Friday after he closes and tear it all down and have it back together up and running by Sunday.

Once I have everything in hand and all Polished and Painted, then I will decide if I want to give up my warranty early or not.

We shall see.

Name:  b1dea51f.gif
Views: 497
Size:  175.5 KB

Quick Reply: Injection is Nice, But.....