2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

K&N Air Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
K&N Moved one hose (the breather off the valve cover), and that affects the "emmisions system." By law they would have to go through all the massive beaurocracy and mountains of paperwork (not to mention testing), just to prove that it does not alter emmisions in any way. No manufacturer is going to bother with that - there are so many intakes on the market, and plenty of others to build.

CGS designed their intake so that it does not alter the location of any hoses or sensors - and does not change any part of the emmisions system routing. This allows them to apply (and eventually), be approved for C.A.R.B. exemption status. Generally approval paperwork can take from 6mos - 2 years, depending on Gov. Schwartzenegger's vacation schedule.

In the end, many owners could care less about exemot/non-exempt status. Many simply put their stock air cleaner assemblies back on for required smog checks. (*Often a smog tech will fail you if he's not sure an intake is legal.) That is why it is so important to retain your stock unit for the future.

Hope this helps,
That's interesting, Mike....

So, all the people who have CGS or AiRaid sysytems are still in violation???? Until the approval comes from CARB. What about the other states???? If it passes CARB approval, is it generally accepted by the rest of the US.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:26 PM

Technically, yes - in California you are in violation until the C.A.R.B. exemption number is issued. If you look on CGS' site, it says "CARB approval pending" not only on the HHR intake - but on MANY others as well. A quick check og other manufacturers will show the same. it's a mountain of paperwork in Sacremento, and they get to it when they can (can you imagine how many different intakes there are?).

As far as other states, most consider an intake that changes no emmisions connections as legal. Everything functions just as stock, just more efficiently.

Again, - I can't stress the importance of holding onto your stock air cleaner setup "just in case." Intake violations, if issued, are usually only a "fix it" ticket.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for that information
Old 01-03-2007, 07:34 PM

Mike - Regrets for the late Thank you. . .but Thank you!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 AM

I have the K&N intake, check out the pictures in my gallery to see more. Very nice piece, seems to have a noticeable difference in power.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Air Raid

the garage at the chevy dealer in Phoenix where I purchased my HHR carries the AIR RAID CAI. According to the guy who runs the shop, I won't void my warrantee if he installs the air raid cai. I dont know if he is handing me a line of bull, but i am interested in a CAI
Old 03-07-2007, 06:46 PM

sort of sounds too good to be true.... but if he says it and he signs the paper work that he installed it and its warranted the what the heck go for it!
Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Am I retarded and just missed the price of this?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by stangable
Am I retarded and just missed the price of this?
Depends...do you listen to hip-hop? See the lounge thread for DJ Flip for more info...

Ng
Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 PM

after looking at the k/n site, i was wondering how come the hhr air charger is a box. does the filter need to be like that instead of the filter being out in the open? does any one know the fuse number for the ECU?

Quick Reply: K&N Air Charger?