2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Stock Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:34 AM

Stock Air Filter

Over Christmas, myself with help from my brother, replaced the air filter. Boy it was a chore and a real pain in the butt!!!

Thought at first we had to be missing something to make it more simple, but nope. Those little (Star Nuts) hidden below and behind the box/case of the air filter, are a real pain and tricky to get to. What I thought should of been a 15-20 minute job, turned into a 1 1/2 hr job, HA!!!

Still think there has to be a better way; short of replacing system with an after-market setup like CGS!!!

Has anyone else replaced their stock air filter??
Old 12-28-2006, 08:19 AM

I replaced mine once and encountered the same problems you did.Maybe its a ploy to get everyone to get it done at the dealer.The air filter assembly is overly complex and probably expensive to make.Can't believe they'd make it so easy to change the oil filter but make it so hard to replace the air filter.
I replaced my air filter assy with the AirAid cold air intake the week after.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by HHRANGE 2006
I replaced mine once and encountered the same problems you did.Maybe its a ploy to get everyone to get it done at the dealer.The air filter assembly is overly complex and probably expensive to make.Can't believe they'd make it so easy to change the oil filter but make it so hard to replace the air filter.
I replaced my air filter assy with the AirAid cold air intake the week after.

We were saying the same thing, trying to make it where you have to take back to dealer!! Wonder what the dealer would charge for labor on replacing an air filter??

I am sure it can be done more efficiently and some specific tools may help, but it is way over-engineered!!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Markiemark
Over Christmas, myself with help from my brother, replaced the air filter. Boy it was a chore and a real pain in the butt!!!

Thought at first we had to be missing something to make it more simple, but nope. Those little (Star Nuts) hidden below and behind the box/case of the air filter, are a real pain and tricky to get to. What I thought should of been a 15-20 minute job, turned into a 1 1/2 hr job, HA!!!

Still think there has to be a better way; short of replacing system with an after-market setup like CGS!!!

Has anyone else replaced their stock air filter??

By the way this is written (star nuts hidden below), it seems you did not disconnect and PULL the whole enclosure off. You did remove it as stated in the owners book???

It only takes me 10-15 minutes....2 clamps, MAF sensor, and pull. Turn over and remove the air filter housing nuts.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 AM

I did it the right way and it still took 20 minutes. I've never seen an air filter that was so difficult to change!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
By the way this is written (star nuts hidden below), it seems you did not disconnect and PULL the whole enclosure off. You did remove it as stated in the owners book???

It only takes me 10-15 minutes....2 clamps, MAF sensor, and pull. Turn over and remove the air filter housing nuts.

That's the trick I was missing and owner's book what's that??

That is what made it a real pain, we left the whole enclosure on. Could not really see the back brackets, did loosen the one front bracket & un-hooked MAF sensor.

Next time I will check the owner's manual, HA!!

I knew there had to be an easier way!!! I think we dropped the star nut bit, like 3 times into engine bay & engine, doing it the non-efficient way!

In the past I have found owner's manual, not to be detailed on working on the vehicle.

Thanks again for the info!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Glad that was cleared up.

There is also several threads someplace that try to make the removal easier. But, once you do it a couple of times (I've painted mine and other underhood mods that required removal) it becomes really quick and easy.

As others suggested however, you can always go after market....for that once every 25,000 mile removal.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 AM

Yeah, we put a K&N in my wife's so we only have to deal with it every 50,000 miles! I've got the CGS on mine, much easier.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM

A friend who works at year one told me about SpectrePerfomance. So I checked out there site, they sell different pieces to custom make an intake system for cars. I fiqured out what pieces it would take to make a pipe very simular to the CGS system, called him to get a price. I let everyone know after he tells me.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Changed Mine Today...........15k Miles!

It only took about 20 Min's! The key is to understand that(THE ENGINE COVER IS THE AIR BOX)-REMOVE IT FROM THE CAR!(2 screws=1.clamp to the throttle body.2.larger star screw holding the air box on) & unplug the air sensor above the throttle body.There 2 female rubber connector that fit over 2 metal male receivers mounted to the cylinder head.(this secures the air box in the rear=gently pull & it will release the air box) then just pull the hose out of the fender- then you can walk over to a bench with the air box in your hand! turn it upside down & you can easily access the 7 smaller star screws & replace the air filter!

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Stock Air Filter