2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Supercharger Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 AM

You won't lose any fuel economy. I observed an increase in economy. I think the M62 uses .3hp to spin when you are out of boost depending on rpm. You lose more hp than that with 1 degree of knock retard. You will get an increase in fuel economy when switching to premium fuel. For a first time booster... a SC is easier to setup and maintain. It makes tuning easier IMO. I am aware a turbo will make way more power and if that is what the op is after then a SC is not the right setup. When speaking of reliability though, a SC will put the engine to the middle of that zone anyway. I would actually take the fun, instant response of the SC over another 30hp for a daily driver. The closer you get to 250whp the more likely you are to run into engine issues and clutch issues anyway(not sure if A/M). I am due for another daily soon and I am more than likely going with another vehicle with an LE5 and putting a SC on it again...even considering an HHR again.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

Premium fuel may get you better fuel mileage but down here it runs about 65 cents more per gallon than regular.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 AM

Just want to add my two cents; If this is your go to daily driver and not a "just for fun" car, I would HIGHLY suggest against installing a forced induction system for a number of reasons. Also firemangeorge I use premium in my 2.4 and here in FL its always at least 40 cents above regular; I haven't seen below 2 dollar per gallon gas prices in a while lol
Old 02-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
You won't lose any fuel economy. I observed an increase in economy. I think the M62 uses .3hp to spin when you are out of boost depending on rpm. You lose more hp than that with 1 degree of knock retard. You will get an increase in fuel economy when switching to premium fuel. For a first time booster... a SC is easier to setup and maintain. It makes tuning easier IMO. I am aware a turbo will make way more power and if that is what the op is after then a SC is not the right setup. When speaking of reliability though, a SC will put the engine to the middle of that zone anyway. I would actually take the fun, instant response of the SC over another 30hp for a daily driver. The closer you get to 250whp the more likely you are to run into engine issues and clutch issues anyway(not sure if A/M). I am due for another daily soon and I am more than likely going with another vehicle with an LE5 and putting a SC on it again...even considering an HHR again.
They sell a version of the m62 to fit the 2.4 solstice. With two of them in the driveway way you can still have 4 seats... if you drive both.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the great information! I found a good licensed mechanic in a friend of mine that's starting his own shop. We're going to go with the ZZP supercharger kit just to make sure everything works together and is shiny/new now that I'm saving a LOT in installation fees. ZZP will also send me a tuned PCM for my setup for an extra $200, so I'm feeling pretty confident. I'll upload before and after pics in about a month when we get started. Gonna turn this car into a SUPERMAN themed S/C car. Yay!