2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Tuning with multiple mods question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Those fascias do look pretty nice. The front looks pretty close to stock, but looks nice cause they got rid of the bumps.

Yeah thats the wb I got.

I forgot about the ZZP lth package. That looks like a nice setup.

I had a badmab header and 3"/catted/2.5" bolt in ZZP downpipe.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Those fascias do look pretty nice. The front looks pretty close to stock, but looks nice cause they got rid of the bumps.

Yeah thats the wb I got.

I forgot about the ZZP lth package. That looks like a nice setup.

I had a badmab header and 3"/catted/2.5" bolt in ZZP downpipe.
Ya they look good. I guess I will wait to see how much of the front fascia I have to cut up for the heat exchanger to fit to see if I will go that route. As fro the rear I'm sticking with a single outlet unless my guy can do a custom dual for a decent price. Guy can change his mind so many times, when I first got on here I swore I wouldn't do a supercharger install now it's all I'm working toward.

If a guy did neither and went with a new catback, would I want a resonator or not? I've heard both arguments for and against and it seems the resonator just compliments the muffler to give it s good sound especially when the engine is modded out?

Have you had any issues with that WB system?

What is the difference with this one?

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...afe-Gauge.aspx

Ya I left a message at ZZP about the longtubes, not sure if they will fit properly on hrr, waiting for callback or email. Package comes with headers and downp.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Resonator would help keep the noise down a bit, but it depends on what muffler you go with. If you do a straight through then def get a resonator. If you do a chambered muffler then it wouldn't be so loud.

I didn't have any issues with that WB. I sold it after I parted the HHR out. It notes a failsafe that I am not familiar with. The AEM uego is one of the most popular and thats why I went with it.

Those longtubes should work. Almost everything powertrain related is interchangeable.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM

Resonator would help keep the noise down a bit, but it depends on what muffler you go with. If you do a straight through then def get a resonator. If you do a chambered muffler then it wouldn't be so loud.

I didn't have any issues with that WB. I sold it after I parted the HHR out. It notes a failsafe that I am not familiar with. The AEM uego is one of the most popular and thats why I went with it.

Those longtubes should work. Almost everything powertrain related is interchangeable.
What would be a better combo. No res chambered muff, or res with straight muffler?
I just decided on grabbing a catback because there is some damage to the pipe and stock muffler and I want everything new so I was thinking this

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...k-Exhaust.aspx

but I have no idea what type of magnaflow muffler this is and ZZP is very hard to get a hold of. Looks like a straight through but I can't tell.

Is there a cheaper option out there for new? I like the idea of it being custom bent for the hhr. IDK

Plan to order the longtunes, that WB and a catback next week.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM

I had the 2.5" catback with res...

I would do a chambered muffler at the least.

I also had 50lbs of audio barrier in my hhr. The whole floor and gate...it was annoying to me and even my friend...who has had an exhaust leak for a long time lol. A chambered muffler is needed in my opinion with a full exhaust cause the stock header/downpipe/cat really pull power and cut down on NVH.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 PM

I had the 2.5" catback with res...

I would do a chambered muffler at the least.

I also had 50lbs of audio barrier in my hhr. The whole floor and gate...it was annoying to me and even my friend...who has had an exhaust leak for a long time lol. A chambered muffler is needed in my opinion with a full exhaust cause the stock header/downpipe/cat really pull power and cut down on NVH.
OK. I decided to go 3" all the way back so maybe I will do both res and muffler. I'm looking for more a deep sound rather then "ricey" if that's the right word but the most important thing is best performance. As for sound I haven't really found one video where I love the exhaust sound but this is about the best I've found, although it is an SS.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM

A turbo exhaust will sound much different and they are quieter due to the turbo. I put a 3" magnaflow catback on my Solstice and it doesn't even come close to the noise I got out of the 2.5" exhaust on my HHR.

Videos weren't very helpful for me when I was picking out a system. I ended up just making a few changes and gravitated towards the one I liked most which was header/dp/stock catback. None of them sounded ricer like though.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Yep. Talked with a few people on exhausts and you were right. The 2 1/4-2 1/2 " piping is what a person wants for good sound and performance. I guess the 2 1/4 is even more then good enough to pressure out up to 300HP.
I changed my mind again. 2 1/2" catback, now just need to decide on Borla or magnaflow.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Headers and Downpipe installed

UPDATE-
Just finishing install now. Decided to do the longtube headers with a 3" downpipe to 2.5 with cat and keep my stock catback/muffler. Fairly easy removal and install, unfortunately I had to not only replace a o2 sensor but the extension ZZP sent me with the O2 gauge setup was TOO SHORT. I had to do some splicing and heat shrinking and thankfully a auto parts store a city over had my O2. I have yet to test it but I'm sure it's great, but the second missing O2 sensor extension and having to buy a gasket along with a new o2 kinda pisses me off. If I was just told this ahead of time it wouldn't of even been a issue. Extra 100 bucks and time wasted tracking down parts and modifying extension.
Will post pics later today.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM

I have just crap pictures. Will throw up HQ ones of everything done during cam install next week.

Kinda a strange thing about the headers/downpipe. I didn't connect the gauge yet because there is no reason to until supercharger install. So I just assumed the plug that was already in the down bung was already tight, not sure why. I found the headers/down upgrade to do absolutely nothing for sound yet, of course no real mods have been done yet. But about 20 miles in after install BA-BOOM! I had the sound I was looking for. Unfortunately it was just the plug that vibrated out therefore leaving me with the second bung wide open for exhaust to exhaust from. I just left it for a few days, absolutely loved the loud sound except at about 3k in first 3 gears it got real loud, or when I would let off gas after accelerating it would just rumble so mean and every now and then do a backfire sound. My neighbors were probably not happy but anyway I plugged it back up with a used plug from another cat and now it's back to being as quiet as a mouse pissing on cotton(stolen from The Sopranos). I sure hope this exhaust sounds more beefy when cam and supercharger is installed or I might just have to res and/or muffler delete.

One crappy pic, more better ones later.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...7/cimg0020.jpg