Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Anyone done this yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by inarmywpride
Smoked your head lights, i bet it would look good!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...QQcmdZViewItem

and socal are you guys buy any chance looking into makeing clear side markers....hmm.hmmmm.....yes cory that would be a good idea.....hahaha
I tried smoked headlights on a new Honda Civic I had back in '86. It looked really cool but it cut way down on my visability at night. They came off real quick! I think that problem might be the same today unless something has changed that I'm not aware of. Seems like smoking your Tail/Brake Lights would be just plain unsafe, no matter how "Cool" it looks. Probably illegal too, just like "Blue Dots" in many states.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:30 PM

I just put my blue dots on Saturday, Illinois has partially lifted the ban and if I get a ticket I plan on using that as my defense, as it states in the new law that the blue dots pose no detriment to the tail or brake lights. Clear side markers would be good for me.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 PM

I couldn't believe it when I moved out here the end of 1965 and found that Blue Dots were illegal in Arizona and not back in New York! (Upstate anyway)
I had them on a couple of cars in my younger days back there.
Fireworks were illegal here too in the middle of nowhere!! ( "Nowhere" as in 40 years ago that is!!)
Old 06-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Alzonie
I couldn't believe it when I moved out here the end of 1965 and found that Blue Dots were illegal in Arizona and not back in New York! (Upstate anyway)
Maybe not 40 years ago but they are illegal in New York now.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Seems like smoking your Tail/Brake Lights would be just plain unsafe, no matter how "Cool" it looks. Probably illegal too, just like "Blue Dots" in many states.
Yep!!! That's right... more the reason to do it (IMO)!!!
On a reality note - it's only breaking the law if you get caught... AND... although 2 of the HHR's brake lights are on the OUTSIDE of the vehicle- the 3rd brake light is BEHIND the dark STOCK TINT (20%)!!! <-- that'll be my plea to the officer!!!!

IMO one can easily see the (3rd) brake light fine (even in mid-day)- so what's the difference (legally)?
I guess that's the reason I went with film- it's easily removeable *should* there be an issue. Then again- I ~may not~ cover 100% of the brake light lens.

Seeing that these are BRAKE lights, I'm not too concerned with the film building heat in the housings (think it's a different story on the headlights). I AM, however, planning on using the tint for eyebrows on the headlight... something a lil different from the masses.
Just waiting for the weather to clear before applying- will get pics for all once complete.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SCOOT
the 3rd brake light is BEHIND the dark STOCK TINT (20%)!!! <-- that'll be my plea to the officer!!!!

IMO one can easily see the (3rd) brake light fine (even in mid-day)- so what's the difference (legally)?
I guess that's the reason I went with film- it's easily removeable *should* there be an issue. Then again- I ~may not~ cover 100% of the brake light lens.
One can easily see the third brake light because it isn't behind the tint. There is a cutout in the tint for the brake light.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by DaJoker
One can easily see the third brake light because it isn't behind the tint. There is a cutout in the tint for the brake light.
Joker...

Uhhh.... no? Although I'm not infront of (or, in this case, BEHIND) my HHR right now- the 3rd brake light IS behind the tint! The reason I think this is because it's 1 solid piece of tinted glass- no cut-outs*.

Then again... (*ANTI-FLAME DISCLAIMER:) this is based off memory- which has been known to drastically alter reality into somewhat of a fairytale.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:14 PM

Trust me, yes, there is a cutout. Perhaps you are correct it is behind tint, the cutout is in the blacked out surround of the back glass though. Like you I am going on memory as I'm not behind my HHR right now either. If I were I would be soaked right now. Torrential downpours here in SW VA. Of coure, either way, this is a brake light, not running lights, which is also going to make a difference.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:42 PM

It IS behind the tint, I just looked at mine.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
It IS behind the tint, I just looked at mine.
Just went out and looked at mine as well. Looks to me like it's behind the tint too.