Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Black Painted Grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:33 PM

Black Painted Grill

Greetings... I'm a little new here, and have some questions.

I just purchased a Black 2006 HHR from a local dealership and am interested in doing some minor modifications to it. Mainly, I want it all black.

Primarily, I am looking for information on getting a Grill that is painted the same color as my Body Color; either a Factory Grill or an After Market Grill. I ran a search on these Forums in an effort to do a little research on the matter and came across the following thread:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ighlight=grill

The first picture is close to what I am considering; or... a billeted style Grill also painted the same color.

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about doing this.

Lastly; I have been trying to research Wheel Rims, looking for a black Wheel to have put on.

Basically, I am kinda going for the Nightrunner look from Dodge... and I am looking to do it in the most cost efficient way. Not interested in fancy, flashy "Show Off" wheels; just something simple; and yet adds more of an agressive, mean look to the HHR. Something in either a Hyper Black; Flat Black... or maybe a glossy black but I am not sure if I want the wheels to match the body color too perfectly.

I am of course also planning to keep all my original factory parts and equipment.

This all of course; also all depends on whatever Uncle Sam may or may not send back to me, come the end of Tax Season... so for now I am just researching to see what can be done.

Thoughts and advice or much appreciated!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:48 PM

paint the grill yourself. take off/out the grill sand,clean,paint. there are post here on grill remove. dupcolor
Old 02-21-2007, 02:53 PM

Welcome! This place is chock full of ideas and information. If I hadn't gone surfer cruiser, I would have gone BLACK BLACK myself. You can do it all - I swear, you can paint or tint anything! But how can you resist putting some really mean wheels on one that you black out completely - I think I would be hard put not to add something really goth and probably ruin the look you are going for

-- hey, you can even black out your headlights - go look: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/picture-media-11/new-headlight-covers-6540/
Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 PM

Hmmm. Black the Headlights. I had been wondering about that too; wasn't sure if it would have been possible. Thanks for that link there Mitzi.

As for getting a factory grill and painting it, I considered that.

I am also looking at Stull Billeted Grills, I'v read that they have one thats ready to be painted. Anyone have any experience with those?

As for the Wheels. I'v been looking at something along the lines of a RIAX Monza in Hyper Black; and a couple versions of Motegi. But again, I don't want a "Racey" look.

I found in the Stickies of this Forum; a Wheel Visualizer.. and the only few there that I found that looked decent where a couple from Asanti but they're listed as only coming in 19" and 20" sizes, which seem to only look decent if the car is lowered a bit which I have no intention of doing.

I'd like to try to stay within the 16" - 17" range if at all possible.

As for painting the existing "hubs". Well, I just don't like those "bolt-on" hubs anyway; which is why I am looking at some nicer rims.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM

someone had their third party grille powder coated. I dont remember who that member was though....
Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Did we all say Welcome to the Club and Enjoy the ride?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM

go to the classifired section look at 3 bar grill for sale...then look around, they do actually sell the black outs for both front and rear tail lights if you are really intrested i can give you the link,
Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM

I am thinking bout the same thing, but mine is dark silver metallic. I photoshopped what I want
Old 02-21-2007, 04:56 PM

welcome to the Fourm, theres a member that is going to make and sell some I think...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Longhorn!

Wow! That is precisely, the exact look that I am after! Just in Black.

May I ask, what did you do to your headlights, or is that a part of your "photoshop" tweaking on the image?

Also; is that a Factory Plate Mount on the front bumber? I'm looking to add one of those as well; pretty much exactly like yours.

Quick Reply: Black Painted Grill