Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Is this a common area for rust??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 12:30 PM

Is this a common area for rust??

Hey guys hope you are all well, and for the Canadians on here hope you are having a great Happy Thanksgiving weekend ..
So, I decided to give my SS a good wash and detail before putting her away for the winter and as i was waxing her i buckled at the knees when i saw this... My perfect, never winter driven, Panel SS has some rust issues that snuck up from beneth andIm at a loss for words and am so disappointed... I opened up the door behind the passenger and on the rear wheel well, it looks like rust started eating away from underneath the plastic shielding.... heres a pic, but i warn you, this isnt for the faint of/at heart lol.

I just dont get it... the car has never been winter driven, except once in early spring to move it from one storage to another, the roads were dry and there was barely any snow on the ground .. other than that she is stored for the last 4 years... im devastated that this has happened... I havent removed the fender lining yet to see just how bad the damage is, but it looks like it has just started eating the metal from behind and is finally coming through the outside and is bubbling the paint. There are no chips in the paint in that area so the bubbling must have started underneath... Is this a hard fix? Im hoping not to spend a fortune trying to restore this area but i know you want it done right you have to pay!! Thanks again for your insite fellas!,
Old 10-09-2023, 02:44 PM
Administrator

That appears to be bubbling paint, I’ve had that on the right rear wheel area over the tire.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
That appears to be bubbling paint, I’ve had that on the right rear wheel area over the tire.
Thanks Blue, i KNEW you would be the first to reply hahaha... Im hoping its just bubbling of the paint, but i guess the only way ill know is by removing the plastic shield in the wheel well and have a look directly behind that spot!! Thanks Blue!!
Old 10-09-2023, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I would not be to worried about it, just scrape the paint away with a putty knife, then sand lightly with 120 grit , then apply rust converter per directions, prime and colour coat. Of course then clear coat.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:38 PM

IDK the cause of this, but just one trip in the worst salt condition can cause horrendous damage. When it gets too cold for rock salt (sodium chloride) to work, many localities use calcium chloride. Its corrosive properties are diabolical. First, it's MUCH more corrosive. And it has such an affinity for water that it grabs vapor right out of the air to for a solution. (Google "deliquescence.")

On the road surface, it combine with dirt to form a slick slime that looks dry. But it will spatter under you car and corrode it.

All. Summer. Long. Because it never dries.

Did I mention it's more corrosive than rock salt? What didn't mention yet is that the corrosion is accelerated with Summer heat.

To add to the horror, they put it on dirt roads for dust control. It keeps the dirt ans gravel damp. Remember how it sucks water from the air?

So, you can cover the undercarriage of your car with corrosive road dust even if you never drive it in the winter.

My Winter-driven cars get under-body wash several times in the Winter and Spring. I avoid dirt roads at all cost, and if I encounter one in my Summer car, I just turn around.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:34 AM
geg

yes, it looks a lot like a poor quality repair...
But! A crookedhands “master” can ruin not only the paint layer, but also what’s underneath it. Still, look from the other side. Perhaps, in Canada, things are also heading towards winter - seasonal tire changes are a good reason to move the fender protection and climb inside with a flashlight.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by geg
yes, it looks a lot like a poor quality repair...
But! A crookedhands “master” can ruin not only the paint layer, but also what’s underneath it. Still, look from the other side. Perhaps, in Canada, things are also heading towards winter - seasonal tire changes are a good reason to move the fender protection and climb inside with a flashlight.
Hey Geg thank you for the reply... That is actually from the factory like that... We bought it brand new from dealership in 09'.... And ive never driven it in the winter... I guess its either poor craftsmanship... Or just moisture from it being stored for the last 4 years? But like u said ill still have to have a peek at the other side!!
Old 10-12-2023, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Moe
Hey Geg thank you for the reply... That is actually from the factory like that... We bought it brand new from dealership in 09'.... And ive never driven it in the winter... I guess its either poor craftsmanship... Or just moisture from it being stored for the last 4 years? But like u said ill still have to have a peek at the other side!!
I thought you inherited this SS 4 years ago from an uncle ? So it was 10 years old when you got it ? No telling what it could have been exposed to before you started storing it.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:43 AM

Yes thats exactly it... I inherited it from my Uncle, he bought it brand new from dealership (i just thought id skip the details lol) but when he had it, he had it stored indoors in climate controlled garage, he actually took care of it better than i have as im currently storing it outdoors. It was his baby, but he never winter drove it at all as well... So im guessing its my fault as to why its rusting.
Old 10-13-2023, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I thought you inherited this SS 4 years ago from an uncle ? So it was 10 years old when you got it ? No telling what it could have been exposed to before you started storing it.
Hey George how are ya man... I hope ya dont think i was trying to mislead anyone, when i said "we" purchased it new, i just meant we as in my family, just to save you guys the headache of hearing the story of how i got the SS all over again lmfao...but like i said, my Unvle stored it indoors every winter anf out of the 61k on the odometer i did maybe 2000 of them since i had it, but bever in snow.