Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Dismantle the steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Cool Dismantle the steering wheel?

Im looking to paint some interior, but i cant, for the life of me figure out how to remove the silver inserts on the steering wheel! Anyone that knows, please help!~!??

Oh and also, the silver Trim around the window buttons (center unit) ...How do you get that off??

And while your at it... The Silver trim on the door? Do i have to take off the whole door pannel?

and DORY! Im takin' after what you did, I thought it looks awesome! Thanks for the IDEAS! Im doin' red (black inter./exter. color) instead of your blue. Which i really like by the way!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:18 PM

my husband and I just removed the silver trim on the door panel this week. Covering the door with tweed and painting that piece. Its plastic welded to the rest of the door panel with plastic rivets. Theres a post about taking apart the door panel but they recommend using plastic clippy things and drilling through the front of the door?? we used a double edged razor blade and cut the top of the rivets off. using self tapping screws to secure everything back together. have pics if you are interested.

Name:  IMG_1350.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  45.0 KB
cut the rivets with a double edged razor blade, just enough so they break loose.

Name:  IMG_1345.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  20.3 KB
rivets cut

Name:  IMG_1349.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  33.8 KB
in case you wanted to remove the lower door pocket also, foam piece pulls right off

Name:  IMG_1352.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  32.5 KB
we used a self tapping screw with 1/4 head and a washer

Name:  IMG_1351.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  33.9 KB
reattaching the door pocket with the screws.

Name:  IMG_1356.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  28.2 KB
front of door panel with middle piece removed for paint! when the rivets are cut and you can pull that away, theres a clip on the end of the curved part for that piece that have to be removed also.

Last edited by chevy_girl; 06-06-2008 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Founding Member

You have to remove the air bag/horn pad to access the screws.

1) Disable the air bag system by disconnecting the negative battery cable. (Extremely Important!!!!!)
2) On the back side of the steering wheel are 2 openings, place the wheel so that one opening is on top.
3) Using a blunt-ended tool, push the spring fastener inward through the access hole. Repeat the step for the other opening.

After that you will see the the fasteners for the siver trim plates/switches.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Alex Budinich
Im looking to paint some interior, but i cant, for the life of me figure out how to remove the silver inserts on the steering wheel! Anyone that knows, please help!~!??

and DORY! Im takin' after what you did, I thought it looks awesome! Thanks for the IDEAS! Im doin' red (black inter./exter. color) instead of your blue. Which i really like by the way!

Can't take the credit for being the first to do this. I got my inspiration and how to details from the following thread..........It's kind of old so some of the pics are no longer there.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/window-switch-shroud-tutorial-3870/
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 AM

do the controls for cruise control come out easy?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Alex Budinich
do the controls for cruise control come out easy?
I don't recall having much of any problems for the cruise or radio controls.