Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Front bumper cold air inlet

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:02 PM

Front bumper cold air inlet

OK, maybe this is more of a replacement for the lovely fog light black louver block-out plug things that need improvement. Ever since I put in my CJ economy grill I've been wanting matching grills for the fog light holes. So tonight I fabbed up the first one out of the same gutter screen and replaced one of the blockout plugs. I'll be beta testing it for the next week or so and if it stays in place like it should I'll work on a matching pair with a better fit. I already have several ideas of other ways to incorporate the same grill material if version 1.0 doesn't work out. Stay tuned.

Name:  DSC01306.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  41.4 KB
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM

Those look kool. I'm off tomorrow and think Imay try something like that. Thanks for sharing a great idea.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM

And I suppose these are going to be the TX-HHR cooling vents, You guys
Old 09-10-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by TX-HHR
OK, maybe this is more of a replacement for the lovely fog light black louver block-out plug things that need improvement. Ever since I put in my CJ economy grill I've been wanting matching grills for the fog light holes. So tonight I fabbed up the first one out of the same gutter screen and replaced one of the blockout plugs. I'll be beta testing it for the next week or so and if it stays in place like it should I'll work on a matching pair with a better fit. I already have several ideas of other ways to incorporate the same grill material if version 1.0 doesn't work out. Stay tuned.

TX

That looks good, kind of reminds me of what NASCAR uses to cool brakes, although I think it might be a bit different. Someone on the forum posted something earlier about improved gas mileage when one of their covers fell off.

I have the factory fog lights in mine, but I like your thinking about the mod.
Thanks for the Post.

John
Old 09-10-2006, 09:11 PM

sweet!

I too made one, but have to still make the other.
way to busy right now. ( work 10 to 12 hours a day)
Old 09-10-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
And I suppose these are going to be the TX-HHR cooling vents, You guys
I'm sure CJ is already working on how to make these ram air inlets for his CGS. I think here in Texas they would be better served as A/C ram air inlets. That may take more work.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Now, What keeps them in place. winter is coming here in Chi-town. Snow is real heavy, pushing against it takes a strong anchor.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Now, What keeps them in place. winter is coming here in Chi-town. Snow is real heavy, pushing against it takes a strong anchor.
I used the same stainless steel clips used on the CJ economy grill. I have the same concern of if it will stay in place well. I'm already kicking around a few ideas in case this one doesn't hold together.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Deceased

funny thing about this and Tx HHR and i have been chatting on yahoo messenger about this.

i have been thinking about doing this very same thing on mine and using them as ram air vents like a couple on here have. another reason i want to make this work is i am digging the way the cat is working

i am going to use muffler coupling reducers for the hole. 5 inch to 3 inch. drill a hole from the side bolt the 5 inch pipe in the hole behind the molded grill filling the hole. make it all one piece so to say.

then i am going to run 3 inch water hose through the bumper and make it where it will sit in the channel on top of the bumper. i have my fog light wiring there. run it to a Y and the other half to the passenger fog light hole.

this will make the whole thing in cool air all the time and not be near engine heat all the time. i may get Jerrys muffler to just bend me some 3 in aliminum tubing once i get it all figured out

another 3 in hose to the filter where i need a 3 to 2.5 in reducer to fit in the hole in the front of my racing filter

double ram air to my CGS

prob get it all done by next weekend
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 PM

Can't wait to see it CJ, I'm really interested in the route you are going to use to get your tubing from the drivers side to the CGS on the passenger side. It looks like it would be a tight fit, but if it can be done I'm sure you'll show us.

Quick Reply: Front bumper cold air inlet