Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Front bumper cold air inlet

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lee3333
That would only be true at idle or slow speeds. Once moving, the air from the front of the car would be pressurized. Once inside the filter, since it is moving towards the engine, it would dominate the flow from the outside part of the filter and go into the engine. It may not generate tons of additional HP, but it certainly wouldnt hurt performance. And it would add to the 'wow' factor at carshows
Can't really say, at this time, how I know..so, if you don't want to believe it...DON"T. I do not wish to engage in a flame "issue", but I would like to digest and entertain other people's thoughts.

But Lee you are partially correct. You will get additional "boost" from higher speeds. And, it will dominate the air flow. But, what I have witnessed is a little contradictory to the thought process exchanged on this forum. The longer the entrance tube, with more radical bends, the less efficient it becomes.....under "highway" speeds. It seems the air that is "pulled" into the engine compartment is greater than what is "rammed" from the front. That is probably one of the reasons why the "shaker hoods" and cowl induction for NASCAR was developed. Distance is a factor if you are expecting gains. Properly introduced and pressurized cooler air WILL increase recognized HP from something like the CGS, K & N or AirAid aftermarket systems, if the filter is confined to a box and air, for the engine, is exclusively pulled from there....but, practicality is an issue here. You will not see an additional 10 or 20 HP.

Mike...you are correct that the HHR runs better at higher temps. But that is engine temp's....not air temperature for the fuel/air mixture. Cooler air into the MAF area will provide some additional HP.....and that is dependant, as mentioned previously, on a properly designed delivery system.

Cj...my man, if you read this...you are the prime person to design a new air intake system utilizing the CGS with a "pressure" box. Think about it.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Deceased

I hear ya talking Snoopy

i never expected no more then maybe another 3 to 8 hp gain with a 4 cylinder and computer running things.

i have been brainstorming alot of things for a while and you run into fitting problems alot

the box makes sense and have even thought about ways to insulate the tubing. the muffler shop said one i got it ran they could do aliminum tubing for me of all kinds of size to make it all smooth.

i have ways to make a box and it is easy w aliminum sheets and bending
so i will see what i come up with

it will happen sooner or later
Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Wow, before you guys start cutting holes in your bumper covers, I should post something I should have long ago in this thread.

Running a "ram air" hose to your filter won't do much - if anything for the HHR. The "Outlaw" open ended filter style still sucks 360-degrees of pretty hot air from the engine compartment. The VERY small amount of outside air you may get into the end of the filter would quickly be warmed up by the remaining larger volume of air coming in from all sides.

Finally, cold air isn't going to make much - if any, improvement to performance, as we have seen repeatedly on the dyno, that the Ecotec makes more power when running hotter than when cool.

But hey, if you've got itchy fingers, go for it!

Two thing I would like to add, Living in MN I often have the pleassure of running Sub Zero air into the motor. I have only owned one computer controlled vehcial a 98 454 truck that seen any gains from it. At about -20 it was night and day (I suspect the computer switched to some default mode thinking the temp sensor had failed). However my HHR doesn't show any real preformance gain on cold days. Also I've do a fair amount of drag racing with and without Ram type hood scoops on the same car and I would pick up more speed by reliveing the pressure inside the scoop (less drag) than I ever see from any ram air affect in a car running 130mph. Just guessing, but you may need to break 150mph before any proformance gains are made. A good weather high pressure system will have more effect.

Front intakes are common on Turbo drag car but lets face it you don't see them in NASCAR for a reason.

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade and won't argue the coolness factor but unless you are running a turbo don't hold your breath looking for big gains.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:27 AM

Turbo cars don't run that way for a RAM effect its so they have unrestricted flow to the turbines and PLENTY of air to breate! There is absolutely NO reason to run a ramair setup on a turbo. They make PSI all on their lonesome.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:08 PM

I've been driving all week with the first of my "fog light grills" and it has stayed in place. So i fabbed up one for the passenger side. I like the look, what do you guys think?

Note to my fellow Texans: In the following pictures there is moisture on the ground. Apprantly this is called rain and is common in other parts of the country.

Name:  DSC01333.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  DSC01337.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  DSC01338.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  63.9 KB

Last edited by TX-HHR; 09-17-2006 at 09:38 PM.