Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

HID retrofit needed NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 PM

HID retrofit needed NOW!

I was driving through Oklahoma tonight on the way from Texas to Missouri. I was driving the speed limit on a four-lane road. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, a large bail of hay appeared in the road in front of me, even in the lane with the passenger side of the HHR. I did not have enough time to check other lanes for traffic to see if I could swerve safely, and was hardly able to brake. I decided to continue going straight and hit it. My right front wheel elevated into the air as it went over the bale, came back down, and it was over!

I am convinced that part of the problem was that I couldn't see the bale until it was too late because of my headlights. I need to get HID on my HHR as soon as possible. I had previously toyed with the idea of having someone add a projector HID from a wrecked vehicle to a set of stock headlight assemblies, but cost was prohibitive. More recently, I heard about the guy who retofitted imported HID kits into stock light assemblies for the Cobalt, and I have asked him for a price to do something similar for the HHR. He's never done an HHR before. This will be expensive both because of apparently higher cost to get HHR vs Cobalt headlight assemblies, and also HHR requires bumper removal to replace headlights and Cobalt does not.

I was told on this forum about one other person who does retrofits, but again not for an HHR so far. I have read here about individuals who modified their HHR light assemblies for HID. However, I still await a professional who can sell me a made-up kit that I can have installed locally. Having almost crashed my car due to poor lighting, I am feeling very motivated. Comparing the cost of HIDs versus that for collision damage and potential injury makes this a no-brainer!

Doctuh
Old 11-01-2010, 12:01 AM

My biggest question.

Are you wanting to be a HID pure snob or just HIDs in your stock housing?

I have HIDs in many many different stock halogen housings. Sure they may not be perfect but they are bright as all hell!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 AM

I'm scared

I am not trying to be an HID snob, but am trying to be on the careful side due to ignorance. I have heard from some people on here that running an HID bulb in the stock housings, which is to say keeping the stock reflectors, works fine. Others say it's illegal, blinds other drivers, and police pull you over and ticket you for them. I simply figured that the safest way was to replace the bulb and reflectors as a unit, rather than risk the reflectors failing when used with a technology for which they were not designed.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 AM

I have HIDs in my HHR, Harley, Fiesta, and a few other Harleys. All of which I'm using them in stock halogen housings, and all required adjustment after install. None have reflector failure. All are using DDM Tuning HIDs. I have one vehicle without HIDs (one of the HDs) because of the small headlight bucket (no where to hide the ballast) and I hate it at night.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up HID headlights

I had installed Hilo H13 8000k $155.00 love them its been about 7 months I used to hate drive at night now i love to.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 AM

I replaced my stock bulbs with sylvainia silverstars. They are one step below their ultra version.They are coming out with the ultra version for our H13 bulb next fall. The ultra version is quite a bit brighter, can see farther and it has a wider beam in my wifes 08 G6. Our stock fog lamp bulb is only 37 watt, I swapped in 9005's which are used for some cars headlamps and they are a lot brighter, I think they are 55 watt. As soon as the Ultra's come out I will put them in my HHR. I have been impressed with the performance of the bulbs in several of my of cars. I know some people on the forum don't like them but they have worked for me.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by jerry455
I replaced my stock bulbs with sylvainia silverstars. They are one step below their ultra version.They are coming out with the ultra version for our H13 bulb next fall. The ultra version is quite a bit brighter, can see farther and it has a wider beam in my wifes 08 G6. Our stock fog lamp bulb is only 37 watt, I swapped in 9005's which are used for some cars headlamps and they are a lot brighter, I think they are 55 watt. As soon as the Ultra's come out I will put them in my HHR. I have been impressed with the performance of the bulbs in several of my of cars. I know some people on the forum don't like them but they have worked for me.
Hate to break it to you. But the silverstars, which I have in one of my sickles, are costing you as much money as HIDs. Just sayin...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
Hate to break it to you. But the silverstars, which I have in one of my sickles, are costing you as much money as HIDs. Just sayin...
Maybe, but it's illegial to install HID's in a housing not designed for HID's. And with good reason, 99.9% of the HID "retrofit's" (using that term loosely) on the road blind oncoming drivers. Aiming down does help, but barely.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Maybe, but it's illegial to install HID's in a housing not designed for HID's. And with good reason, 99.9% of the HID "retrofit's" (using that term loosely) on the road blind oncoming drivers. Aiming down does help, but barely.
Sorry didn't think we were worried about legality.

The license plate frames that dealers put on your car are illegal as well. Just sayin...
Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Which is why I am trying to find someone who can retrofit an entire HID assembly (with its reflectors) in the factory housing. I'm still waiting for someone to step up to the plate and do it.

Quick Reply: HID retrofit needed NOW!