Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Looking for a Car Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 AM

There aren't many FWD vehicles out there that have much of a tow rating. Just not designed for HD use. You can tow more if you want, it's just if you break or wear something out due to towing while under warranty, chevy won't pay! I tow with my 1995 beretta alot. 2.2l / 5 speed, I've already had well over 2300lbs including trailer behind me! This is extreme though, short trip ( five miles to home ) you can definitely tell when you are towing almost what your vehicle weighs! But it will pull 1000-1300lbs all day, don't even really know it's there.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Long_Tall_Texan
I would want to see one installed before I bought it. Anyone have a pic of it installed?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/how-install-trailer-hitch-5928/
Write up by Tomshhr. this is in the How To section of this forum.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 AM

Actually thinking about it i would suspect you can safely tow about 1500 if you have no rear passengers or cargo. The only thing I would worry about is not increasing tongue weight past what the hitch and the HHR can handle as it could cause steering and traction issues or worse. Maybe a trailer with doubleaxles would be safer since I suspect it would decrease the tongue weight on the vehicle since it would balance its own load better. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Just a thought... braking issues.
HHR is not known for the best of brakes to begin with.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

I would suggest.....

Cooling is limited....as witnessed by people in the warmer/hotter portions of the country. Not unusual for coolant temps of 215-220* when ambients exceed 105 and traffic/climbing conditions change. Pulling a trailer will only INCREASE the numbers.

Brakes as mentioned.....for obvious reasons

Transmission......while it is a unbelieveably reliable and strong transmission, it was engineered for specifically what GM intended. Why push for more than the intent?

For those who are thinking about pulling a trailer....I suggest you read your Owners Manual AGAIN. It does state 1000 pound pulling capacity. HOWEVER, there are some LIMITATIONS USING THAT NUMBER. YOU should recognize what those limitations are.

Just offering some thoughts. You do what you are comfortable with !!!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:43 PM

Hello.
I have a new 07 HHR, and just installed the 2,000lb capacity hitch.
The main reason is for pulling a small car (Chevy Chevette), an ice racer to and from the track in the dead of winter. Only 2 trips a year though. I'm not worried about heat because of the time of year I'm doing it, well below freezing. I know the limit says 1,000 lb capacity and 200lb tongue weight. However I'll be flat towing my ice racer, I weighed it in at 1,600 lb (due to major lightening). Since it's being flat towed, there is 0 tongue weight. I suspect the problem is vehicle dynamics, particulary breaking. I'm installing a slave brake in the tow vehicle. I'll also be replacing the fluids with AMSOIL synthetic. I'll let you all know how it goes in a few weeks.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:53 PM

I just installed a hitch today for my hhr. I need it for my mountain bike. Got it on eBay it’s a U-haul brand and was only $115 with free shipping Click Here

Also install was simple take a look. Install Video Click Here

Good Luck!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie
Hello.
I have a new 07 HHR, and just installed the 2,000lb capacity hitch.
The main reason is for pulling a small car (Chevy Chevette), an ice racer to and from the track in the dead of winter. Only 2 trips a year though. I'm not worried about heat because of the time of year I'm doing it, well below freezing. I know the limit says 1,000 lb capacity and 200lb tongue weight. However I'll be flat towing my ice racer, I weighed it in at 1,600 lb (due to major lightening). Since it's being flat towed, there is 0 tongue weight. I suspect the problem is vehicle dynamics, particulary breaking. I'm installing a slave brake in the tow vehicle. I'll also be replacing the fluids with AMSOIL synthetic. I'll let you all know how it goes in a few weeks.
I finished my flat towing with the HHR. Got out on the freeway and set the cruise control for 102kph, and towed for about 100km. I didn't seem to have a problem at all, the engine temperature did not raise at all and the RPM's remained low she didn't seem like she was straining at all. I feel comfortable towing the 1,600lb race car behind her now. I don't think I would do it without the AMSOIL synthetic ATF though, that can withstand harder work without breakdown.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by ICUFOS
I just installed a hitch today for my hhr. I need it for my mountain bike. Got it on eBay it’s a U-haul brand and was only $115 with free shipping Click Here

Also install was simple take a look. Install Video Click Here

Good Luck!

I ordered one from etrailer yesterday after watching the video. Don't know that this matters but when taking the muffler loose from the hanger are you pulling the rubber hanger off the muffler or leaving it on?

Jim
Old 12-29-2007, 06:43 PM

I just installed mine today, the rubber muffler hangers only need to slide off the body mount not the pipe or muffler mount. The pipe and muffler mounts are longer than the body mount and allow the rubber to slide off the body mount and still stay on the pipe and muffler mount. Mine came off really easy they still had the grease installed from the factory to make them slide easily.

Only problem I had was I didn't drill the rear holes out large enough to allow the fishing wire to release from the bolt. I almost screwed up the fishing wire. Just make sure you drill that hole somewhat larger than the bolt threads. I'd go 9/16" or 5/8".

Also the muffler has TWO of the rubber mounting hangers, one just above the tailpipe and one on the outer fender side above the muffler. Also found if you released the one just in front of the rear axle in the tunnel that helps also.

Man I'm I stiff and sore tonight, and tomorrow, I don't even want to think about it.

TomR