Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

My Overhead Console Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 AM

Very nice!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM

We did the blazer overheads in the Caprice/Impala a lot. Both the short and long consoles. RIght after I bought my HHR, I was looking for were to put things, and disapointed the HHR doesn't have a storage under armrest/console like I'm use to in B body and Suburban. I took my sunglasses off and with the pop up storage already full, I thought to myself, this thing is getting a blazer long console.

The consoles that have a MODE button on the display are for the later S series that show mpg etc. like our speedo cluster does. The older version has ON/OFF button instead and they can be wired to any 12v vehicle that has a pulse VSS feed. Not sure if our speed sensor is same signal as late 90's GM like the Caprice and S series. Without the speed signal, the outside temp will not change. This was so the display wouldn't climb high reading the radiator at a stop light. It only reads temp while the vehicle is moving. Compass and homelink are self contained and only need postive and ground. The temp sensor only has one wire from the outside sensor to the display. The other wire on the temp sensor goes to ground. The temp may be a little off mounted inside the vehicle, its designed to read based on 30+ mph wind blowing across probe. Maybe it will just 5 degrees off or so, I don't know.

If you need, I can look up wire info in my files. I've changed computers since the B body days.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 PM

I have a long version and a medium version (has sunglass, homelink and cd storage, but doesn't have dome or rear seat map lights I could sell if interested.

That bracket running off to the passenger side on the sunroof version of the blazer overhead is to get the compass sensor away from the sunroof motor. The models without sunroof have the sensor built into the display.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin09HHRhappy
We did the blazer overheads in the Caprice/Impala a lot. Both the short and long consoles. RIght after I bought my HHR, I was looking for were to put things, and disapointed the HHR doesn't have a storage under armrest/console like I'm use to in B body and Suburban. I took my sunglasses off and with the pop up storage already full, I thought to myself, this thing is getting a blazer long console.

The consoles that have a MODE button on the display are for the later S series that show mpg etc. like our speedo cluster does. The older version has ON/OFF button instead and they can be wired to any 12v vehicle that has a pulse VSS feed. Not sure if our speed sensor is same signal as late 90's GM like the Caprice and S series. Without the speed signal, the outside temp will not change. This was so the display wouldn't climb high reading the radiator at a stop light. It only reads temp while the vehicle is moving. Compass and homelink are self contained and only need postive and ground. The temp sensor only has one wire from the outside sensor to the display. The other wire on the temp sensor goes to ground. The temp may be a little off mounted inside the vehicle, its designed to read based on 30+ mph wind blowing across probe. Maybe it will just 5 degrees off or so, I don't know.

If you need, I can look up wire info in my files. I've changed computers since the B body days.

I got to start hitting junk yards , That might be pretty cool in black and yellow going under the sun roof, Would take some imagination to see what i'm thinkin about, But some time and some customizzzzing Might be on the horizon. And to have some actual lighting in the SS Now that would be something .

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Batdude;

maybe some lazers or rockets to launch when the skyroof is open GO BEARS BOOO steelers.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM

OOOOOOooo I Like It.

Just keep thinkin , JETS, BEARS, JETS ,BEARS, And you can switch it to STEELERS, BEARS, STEELERS, BEARS If you want , As long as the BEARS are THERE !

And that " Karen rodgers" from the green meat packers will be watching it on TV !

Old 01-19-2011, 12:38 AM

On the long consoles, the base is cloth. The two sections come apart. I think this one had a dark charcol base and i recovered it with the medium beige headliner material. The plastic trim can be vinyl dyed. I thought about sem'ing this one medium beige, but the trim around the stereo/hvac and cluster was same color dark charcol on the Caprice.

Here is the car i put the console in. I spent 5 years building it.
www.cardomain.com/ride/629700
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin09HHRhappy

Here is the car i put the console in. I spent 5 years building it.

www.cardomain.com/ride/629700
WOW, what a "TON" of work! We gave you 5*****z
Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
jx3

Very clean looking install.

Originally Posted by Gas Man
Yeah I wish we have homelink...
For those that would like to add a homelink, check out the following thread for another very clean install..........

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/saturday-morning-mod-26129/
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Damnit... I think you just made me another project... for my & the wife's car.

Quick Reply: My Overhead Console Install