Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

PRODUCT REVIEW: Midnight Express/Black Velvet (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:03 AM

PRODUCT REVIEW: Midnight Express/Black Velvet (long)

I recently took delivery of my black 2LT, half-panel and after reading the posts here I figured that now would be the ideal time to to get a good coat of "wax" on the thing.

I started with a clay bar treatment with the Mequire's kit. Frankly, I didn't see any difference but there was some discoloration of the clay so I figured it was doing something.

After reading the most recent thread on cleaning and polishing I figured I'd take 08BlkSS's advice and use two products designed specifically for black cars so I ordered Midnight Express (15.95 for 32 ounces) and Black Magic ($16.95 for 12 ounces) from topoftheline.com. Ordering on line was easy and the products arrived in a reasonable amount of time, well packed and in undamaged condition.

The directions on the bottle for using Midnight Express is only for machine application, but hand application directions are provided on the website. The label also warns to "Allow polymers to air dry for 36 hours" but doesn't say what you're waiting for. I called Customer support and got a recorded message saying that they were only open from 1 to 4 p.m. but to leave a message and they would return my call. I hung up and tried the e-mail address instead. After waiting 12 hours without an e-mail response I called again and left a message. The next day I got this e-mail response "That means before you wash it, Woody, but it would apply to waxing as well." About 5 hours later I got a message by phone from another individual telling me that it means before "detergent washing" but that waxing immediately after was okay. By that time 36 hours had passed so it was a moot point.

Another issue with the directions is Step 6 that suggests using product HT-77 as the final step. An exhaustive search of their website has not been able to locate this product but I assume it's only recommended for the machine the application method since it's not mentioned in the on-line directions for hand application.

Then the "fun" started with two applications of the Midnight Express polish. The product spread on nicely with the supplied sponge applicator and wiped off fairly easily with an old 100% cotton terry towel. Places where the polish wound up on textured plastic did require the use of a toothbrush and dish detergent to completely remove the white residue, but on other smooth plastic and rubber areas the product came off completely with minimal effort. The product did leave a few scattered white spots about the size of the period at the end of this sentence on the paint and a little extra rubbing was required to remove these. Since there were very few it was nothing more than a minor inconvenience and is only mentioned here in the spirit of full-disclosure.

On passing my terry towel over untreated areas then onto treated areas there is a significant difference in smoothness so the product definitely made a difference but no noticeable difference in the richness of the color.

Next step was applying the Black Velvet, a "Pure Brazillian Carnuba Wax". Directions on the container are simple and straight forward. I applied the suggested very thin coat to a small area with a sponge applicator, waited a minute and then wiped it off with another old 100% cotton terry cloth. The product went on and wiped off effortlessly... a joy to use. After doing as suggested I changed my method and began applying it to a full panel then wiped it off beginning where I started because by the time I finished applying to a panel about a minute had passed. The directions warn not to let the product dry on the surface but at no time did the product show any resistance to being wiped off. In fact, the next day I found a small area that I missed and the remaining product again wiped off effortlessly.

When I got to the hood, I applied the wax to half of it and when I wiped it off there was a distinct difference in the depth and richness of the color! I could quite easily see the demarcation line where the waxed area had a deep rich black color next to a very, very dark gray that previously looked completely black. I applied the wax to my chrome, both black and regular and was extremely pleased with the results.

Before I started this process I looked at my showroom fresh (700 miles on the odometer) shiny black HHR and thought "This is going to be a complete waste of time"... NOT! I spent a total of about 20 hours on this project and I must admit that the difference is nothing short of dramatic! The paint has a brilliant, deep, deep shine and richness that I didn't think was possible.

Conclusion:

If you have a black car, you owe it to yourself to use these products for head-turning results. If your car is new, applying by hand is relatively painless. If your car is ready for a good polishing I'm sure the machine application process will eliminate any micro-small swirl type marks.

For those of you who don't like carnuba wax because you've heard it doesn't last long, Black Magic is about as effortless to apply as you could imagine so re-applying isn't much of big deal especially after you've seen the results. For those of you who keep your car in the garage the wax will last a very long time.

DO IT! It's time well spent.

Last edited by Czechman; 05-24-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:21 AM

DAMN... Thats a good lookin car. I'v e used the Black Velvet wax before and I was amazed at the results. It's one of the best waxes available for black vehicles.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:34 PM

NOTHING looks nicer then a shiny, black HHR! GORGEOUS!
And you know, with just a little effort to wipe down every day, that shine will last a long time.

Going to have to put that on my list.
Thanks for sharing!

@ngelita
Old 05-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Smile

So Czechman:
question is...When you doing mine?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:41 AM

thats what I am talking about!!! Glad you went with those products......that shine is INSAINE!!!!! Great Job!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by budmanz
So Czechman: question is...When you doing mine?
No problem! Just bring it over the second Tuesday of next week and I'll get right on it

Originally Posted by 08BlkSS
thats what I am talking about!!! Glad you went with those products......that shine is INSAINE!!!!! Great Job!!
Thanks for one of the best tips I've ever gotten... I have a friend who is a real detail snob (owns a Carrera and an M3) and even he was impressed. Thanks to guys like you I'm old dog who can learn new tricks.

Last edited by Czechman; 05-25-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM

wow

it looks great!....did you get any on the plastic and rubber ??? if so did it come off easily ???....i don't recall seeing a hhr with those wheels...did they come on it ???
Old 05-25-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
it looks great!....did you get any on the plastic and rubber ??? if so did it come off easily ???....i don't recall seeing a hhr with those wheels...did they come on it ???
Yes, those wheels came with it.

Deep textured plastic like the bumper insert and antenna base needed a toothbrush and detergent to remove but smooth plastic was just a wipe off situation. All that's covered in the review if you need more info.