Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Short Throw Shifter (Review & Pics.)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 AM

Short Throw Shifter (Review & Pics.)

I bought a new billet aluminum short throw shifter and finally got around to installing it yesterday. I got it from TWM Performance, and just like the other products I've purchased from them in the past, their quality and support of their accessories is without question top notch. They are a little bit more expensive than other units found on the net, but there are somethings (like quality and support) that are absolutely worth the couple extra bucks.

The install took around 90 minutes including clean up. I made sure to be very careful and make note of all the parts and locations of the shifter assembly and shift linkage adjustments. The website says 1 hour. The directions say 2 hours, so I figured I was doing pretty good. If I were to have to do it again, I'm sure I could do it in under an hour, being familliar with all the parts now. It's not rocket science, but definitley not for the timid person either, at times it was a real PITA. If you are only in it for the looks, I would recommend going the easy route and just trimming the OEM shifter. But if you don't like the "slop" in the stock shifter, this will remedy the problem.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the results. Shifting is very "crisp" and tight now. The "throw" has been greatly reduced resulting in very "short" and more precise shifts. Plus it looks cool.....Regards

http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm

Installation Instructions: (shows Cobalt but the shifter assemblies are the same)
http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...n%20Manual.pdf

Old 01-13-2007, 10:39 AM

That looks great!!! Sounds like you've got a good resource for parts and great people to work with. You're right...it's worth paying a few extra bucks and getting that extra customer support. Good Job.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 AM

It says it drops the height 2", is the height ok? Or is it really short? I am only used to cars, not utility vehicles/tall wagons, but the HHR's seats look high, so I would think that may make the shifter hard to reach.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by M******* HHR
It says it drops the height 2", is the height ok? Or is it really short? I am only used to cars, not utility vehicles/tall wagons, but the HHR's seats look high, so I would think that may make the shifter hard to reach.

The Cosmetic and Physical Aspects:

It does indeed drop it quite a bit compared to the OEM specs. Before buying, I was real leary about the new overall length also. I really didn't have any issues with the original size and looks, as a matter of fact...I liked the way it looked. I just thought it shifted like crap compared to other manual transmisson vehicles that I have owned. After doing a little research, I came to the conclusion that if I wanted better shifts, a compromise between changing the look and peformance would have to be made. So I decided to give the short throw a try. Cutting down the OEM shifter may help slightly, but it doesn't do anything to the "tail" of the shifter, which needs to be lengthened in order to obtain "true" shorter and more precise shifts.

After having installed the shifter and now used to the new look, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I can honestly say that I like the appearance just as much now, if not more than before. I've also become adjusted to the new height without any issues. The way I figured it.....I could always change it back to stock if I didn't like it, and sell the shifter here or on ebay and not lose too much.

Now as for the ergonomics.....

I'm a decent sized guy (6' 1" 240lbs) and have a pretty good reach. When I drive I usually lean on the passenger side armrest, with my seat all the way back (not reclined much though) and could shift comfortably in that position, and without having to stretch much, if at all. ( with the OEM shifter) Now after changing the shifter out, I do have to "reach" slightly more when using the same senario described above, but....the shifting distance (throw) between gears isn't as long as it was before. So I don't actually have to reach as far as you would think. It really did end up a very even trade off. Here is a great example of what I'm referring to:
http://www.twmperformance.com/short-shifter.html

In conclusion.....

Depending on what your ultimate goal is, there are many factors that may or may not work for your individual needs. It just so happens that everything with this swap worked for me, and I love it.....Now my wife on the other hand doesn't like the "new" feel. This is coming from someone that has only driven 1 other 5 speed car in her life...(A 1990 Geo Metro)....And has never been given the opportunity to drive a performance based vehicle....Soooo, in short.... if you are looking to improve the way the shifting is and give it that "sporty" feeling, I would absolutely recommend going this route. But consider all the pros and cons with this type of mod......Hope this helps..If you need any specs after the install so you can compare to yours let me know...
Regards...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM

Nice job. Looks like it turned out well.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM

How much throw does it have? Does it feel notchy, or is the shifter smooth. I had a short throw shifter in my SRT4 and my wife hated it because it was real notchy feeling, even with booger bushings
Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by longhorn
How much throw does it have? Does it feel notchy, or is the shifter smooth. I had a short throw shifter in my SRT4 and my wife hated it because it was real notchy feeling, even with booger bushings
The throw is very short compared to stock. I would say by almost 1/2 (I think they claim 38%) and yes it has the "notchy" feeling that you refer to. That's what I like about it. It's great for when you want to just zip through the gears. I would bet that if you were to compare the shifting characteristics between your SRT4 and what I have now, it would be right on the money. And yes, that is why my wife hates it also...lol...Regards
Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the thorough answer. I installed a B&M S.T.S. on my tC and I love it, I wouldn't even mind a little shorter. But my seat is level with the base of the shifter in my car, where in your pic it looks like the seat is level with the top of your shifter. I am familiar with slight added effort that it takes to operate it. I guess I will try a stock one before I buy it, as I might just go automatic, seeing this will be a family vehicle.

Maybe someone in eastern Mass. (with a S.T.S.)will be available in a few months to let me sit in their car and check it out.