Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

What's the deal with the bowtie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:27 PM

Old bubbley, peeling, separating, nasty appearing bowties are still way better the a perfectly brand new FORD logo anyday.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 PM

My rear one is bubbled... I'm just gonna order a new one and paint it black.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Blemish or beauty mark?

I guess it's not so bad. You have to be pretty close to see it. Call it a battle scar

I'm glad my front one is pristine. Ooops. I can hear it bubbling now. Doh!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM
MCT

Ok, my two cents worth on waterproofing the bowties: (If you desire to keep them stock).

I got my new rear one the other day from Chevy. They were nice enough to let me take it home, remove the rear one myself, and then bring the damaged one back. I hate the thought of having a tech pry it off, probably with a screwdriver. A little heat and monofilament line, and off it came.

Here is what I did for the moment. As I have not decided what I want to do with the front and rear bowtie, I decided to try and weatherproof them a little. I utilized electroncis grade clear silicone adhesive/sealant. It is the one that doesn't smell like vinegar and does not corrode metal, (and electronic parts). I have used it for everything, as an adhesive and sealant. No smell and a great product. Anyway, I went around the seam where the chrome part and the outer clear part meets, right where the water would seep in. A little alcohol and some papertowels cleaned up the excess. I made sure I had silicone all the way around the edge of the bowtie. Now we will see if that takes care of the problem. I did the back one while it was still off the car, and the front one while it was on the car. Both were simple to do.

The product I used was GC Electronics Electronic Grade Silicone Adhesive/Sealant, part number 19-155. This stuff is great to have around the house as it can be used for many things. No smell, and safe around electronics.