Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

10" Sub in Side Panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:35 PM

10" Sub in Side Panel

Would it be possible to swap the 8" sub for a 10" Sub in the Pioneer 7 speakers System??
Old 09-15-2008, 12:41 PM

dont bother with it, it wont sound good at all. just put a 10 in a box, trust me, love mine.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 PM

As the saying goes, 'been there, done that'. Against everybody'e advice, I tried this a few months ago. I englarged the hole, but could not get a good flat seal due to the irregular surface-the 2 panals meet and caused a gap. Also, the 2 bumps for the bolt holes caused a problem. I tried to fill the uneven areas with putty, but it was not perfect. In addition, when I screwed the speaker directly into the plastic panal, the screws did not hold it tight enough for an airtight seal. So I created a wood backing and front piece. In order to get the wood behind the panal, I had to cut a hole large enough for the speaker, then saw it in half so it would fit inside. I attached it with screws to the panal, then attached the front wood to it sealed very well, then screwed the speaker to the front wood. Then, I applied about $100 of Dynamat to the entire area behind the panal. Finally, I put in fiberglass insulation to fill up some of the airspace/cavity. The results were unimpressive. I did comparison tests of the same speaker in the side panal and in an enclosure I bought. Next, I tried 3 different speakers, including some that were designed to be 'freeair' with equally dismal performance.

Bottom line-dont bother. Some people here have had success by building an enclosure that fits in the area behind the panal, but it takes some work and a lot of time. I read an article on how to make a fiberglass enclosure, and it involves removing everything in the back, covering it all with wax paper and applying layers of fiberglass then cutting out holes, sealing it all, etc etc etc.

I finally gave up and removed the fiberglass insulation and attached a hinged door to the hole in the side panal and created a storage compartment. Then, I designed and built a small sub box that mounts behind the drivers side of the passanger seat. It is angled so that the bottom is flat on the floor, while the back is flush against the seat, and the top is parallel to the floor. This way, no space is wasted behind the seat (a typical rectangular box would touch the top of the seat and then there would be space at the bottom due to the angle of the seat). By making it shallow, the rear cargo area still opens. It attaches with a piece of wood screwed to the top of the box with 2 holes in it that the headrest posts go through. Since it is angled, it does not move when the seat is in the upright position. When I fold the seat, it stays attached. It is just narrow enough to allow the seat to fold. If I want to remove it, I simply have to take off the headrest. I get great bass using a 2 Ohm Infinity Kappa and a 400 Watt Alpine mono amp. There is enough bass to shake the mirror and body of the car.

My goal was to have a good sounding sub that took up minimal space, and still allowed access to all of the compartments in the back. Pictures are in the Sub sticky post.