Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

2009 LT -Sony Deck, JBL Sub(refinished box!) and AMP, Garmin GPS transplant complete!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Cool 2009 LT -Sony Deck, JBL Sub(refinished box!) and AMP, Garmin GPS transplant complete!

Hey guys,

Just finished transplanting my old system to my new Black 2009 HHR LT. That is my old JBL 12" Dual Voice coil and old home-made box, but I just finally finished it with some black padded vinyl and a decent post terminal in back. You may notice I was testing out some shoe polish/protectant on it meant for synthetic leather - way shiney. Also replaced most of the cover on the JBL amp with clear lexan, also clear lexan on my logo badge on the box. The bad light makes the lexan look not so clear in the pics, but it is.

I had posted threads earlier looking for confirmation of which harness adapter works for sure in an 09. I ordered from www.CrutchfieldCanada.com and installed the GMOS-LAN-03 and can confirm for everyone that this adapter works 100% in the 09. My chimes and OnStar all work fine. It should be noted that you do keep your warning chimes, but it is replaced with an aftermarket "bing" sound, with adjustible volume on the bing, thank god. Also I've seen many people complain that their turn signal clicking doesn't work with this adapter, not true. Crutchfield and the manufacturer clearly state that this model supports the audible turn signal sound, but an optional relay to enable this feature must be purchased. Honestly, I don't miss hearing the turn signals one bit. Without the relay, your turn signals are completely silent... AWESOME IMO.

Anyway, here's some pics. Bad light on some with the sun half shining on the sub...

Old 02-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Very nice
Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 PM

Hey, thanks. I didn't go too overboard with a super-pro install, this took long enough as it is. It was my first time ever finishing a box with vinyl - I think it turned out pretty sweet for an "alpha version". Gave me lots of ideas for my next box.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Thumbs up looks great

you don't care about it sliding around back there? grill to protect your cone? it does look really good.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
you don't care about it sliding around back there? grill to protect your cone? it does look really good.
Haha. Thought someone might mention that. You can see an indent in the 4th pic on each front bottom corner of the sub box... that's where the black bungee goes across and hooks to the child seat restraints for now... took it off for the pics cause that's just a little ugly, but it holds tight. I was thinking about a grill, but I've seen so many installs on here with no grill and it just looks so much cleaner. Cone is tough as a brick "poop" house on that thing anyway.

PS: Sub was about $300 CAD when I bought it a couple years ago (just speaker, no box), 300 watts RMS. Amp is 290 watts RMS bridged to one channel (that's JBL RMS on both, which is REAL power), so it's pretty much a perfect match. Some people say, "300 watts? That's nothin'!", while they are rolling with a 1000 watt PEAK kenwood or pioneer or some other crap. Can't compare apples with chunks of dog poop!