Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Changing out factory stereo and all four speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM

Changing out factory stereo and all four speakers

Wordering what this entails. I started taking apart the dash and door panels but not going to have time to do anything until a weekend when I have everything I need.

I'm curious about the complexity of having to do it it and how long it might take, cost, etc. And where I should buy the equipment.

Thanks.

Edit: I've also been having some problems with my front speakers, sometimes I turn the car on and the front door speakers don't work, but other times they work great. Maybe there's another problem not with the speakers. The back speakers don't work at all.

And how extensive would it be cost and labor wise to replace the tweeters. Really don't feel like they're good for anything but this morning driving to work with just those speakers, they sound God awful.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Technical Moderator

Scroll or search in this section of the forum. There are a lot of ideas.

You mainly need to know that there is a couple of computer interface problems withe the radio.

The speakers have a habit of getting wet and corroded.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Check out these guys, they have an extensive amount of how to, and what fits plus they add in the speaker mounts with your order

Car Audio & Video at Crutchfield.ca
Old 04-11-2016, 03:16 PM

Stereo problems is what brought me to this forum in the first place. You can search and probably find my saga.

For me the original door speakers would work when they wanted to so I tried everything. I brought it back to the dealer we bought it from and they thought the amplifier on one side had fried. It was really the speakers. The same original stock radio is still in the dash.

I tired another stereo which played fine with the original speakers for a while then they , would cut out one, two or more at a time. When I finally figured out it was the speakers I replaced them with some from the big box of speakers I have in the garage, and finally went with a set of 4 I got at walmart.

I just looked and see that you have the 2010 model so you probably have the power window switches in the door panel too so you will have to deal with those too.

I just looked and see that you have the 2010 model so you might have the power window switches in the door panel so you will have to deal with those too.

I looked and saw that you have a 2010 model so you might have the power window switches in the door panel and will have to deal with those too.

The original HHR speakers got put in a set of enclosures I whipped up out of old pallet boards and still rock on in the garage. I have no idea why they cut out when in the car.

As far as the pillar tweeters, they are meant to only produce high frequency sounds so naturally they would sound like crap when the bigger speakers are not working.

You do know that once the original radio is out the door chimes and other warning noises will go with it don't you. You can buy a thing to generate those if you want to or just live without them. In my case the wife really pouted that they were gone while I had the Clarion stereo in the dash. That was the main reason I put the original back in.

Taking the stereo out of the dash is not hard. Getting the single din radio to fit was also not hard once I got the single din adaptor from a vendor on eBay, the one I got had enough room under the radio that I could fit my 2 meter ham radio with the stereo.

Taking the inner door panels off is not to tough just remember there is a plastic clip that goes to the door pull. Search on youtube and watch some of the videos of how to remove them.

The stock Chevy wire ends are probably going to be different than the connection tabs on your replacement speakers. I just tapped into the speaker wire a few inches above the stock connector and soldered in more wire with the ends I needed.

The hole the stock speakers are in are odd shaped. You can just hang them in the hole and call it a day but I made some mounts out of 1/2" thick plastic material I had left over from when I built my router table. Some folks simply cut the dead speaker out and reuse the factory mounts. You can buy them from various vendors on eBay too.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 04-11-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: because i can