Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Drive Play install/wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Drive Play install/wiring help

So I'm installing my Harmon Kardon Drive + Play, and It comes with an adapter for hardwiring it. I would like to do this. I cannot hardwire it to my cigarette lighter because the lighter stays on all tthe time, and I dont want to have to power down everytime manually (it sleeps after an hour, but that's too long). The fuse panel is easily within range of the unit inside the car, so I will wire it there. I have two problems though:

A). I have cable ends that are bare. No method of connection. What style of connector should I use to connect into an empty fuse slot? I assume it should be fused for safety, I just need it to connect. I have plenty of slots open in my 06 ls no options, so I figured one of these slots is perfect (#21) and I was hoping there was a more elegant solution than buying a fuse just to fuse tap it.

B). I also want to wire the battery wire into the fusebox (it isn't long enough to go anywhere else). Can I just plug it into any slot using the same method as above? Is there a certain slot I should use? Does it need to be fused as well? I guess I can tap into the cig lighter if i have to but so far this is a totally reversable process and I would prefer not to splice wires.

Any input you guys have would be helpful. I've only found one mention of the Drive Play on here and all the other writeups for non HHR's just use the cigarette lighter, but I just cant justify it draining power for an hour every time I get out.

For reference, I wired the brain behind the console by the foot heater, and ran all the wires behind the dash.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 PM

pickup an add-a-circut and use it in #21. and battery wire as in ground? any ground will do. just need the positive switched.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 PM

I should clarify. The system has a BLACK - ground YELLOW - battery and RED - ignition.

So i need to hook the red to the switched power to let it know when to come on, but I need the yellow powered for actual power.

Also, I dont see the point of getting an Add a circut if there is no circut to start with. Is there a connecter to allow a single wire to run into an empty fuse slot?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM

The add-a-circuit will look just like a fuse with a place to put your wire it is a spade type... if you get two you will also put the batt. hot there also yes it should be fused. the ground can go at the bolt on the bottom of the fuse block mount.