"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Install Trailer Hitch- Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 AM

Install Trailer Hitch- Wiring

It's pretty cold out in the garage so rather than lie on my back on the concrete floor installing the hitch, I decided to do the wiring installation first.
To start off I pulled up the rear cargo floor panel & removed the cargo tray. I then removed the plastic kick panel (cover) by pulling up at the bottom backside:

Next I removed the wiring access panels. I used a flat blade screwdriver & gently pried up. They come out very easily:

Here's a look at the tabs on the backside of the access panels:

Starting on the driver's side, I removed the top plug from the back of the tail light. I used a flat blade screwdriver underneath the tab & gently lifted & pulled at the same time. Since it was so cold out the plastic was very brittle. I had ease it off very carefully because I did not want to break the plug:

Next I installed the Curt Hitch plug (with yellow wire) into the back of the tail light & installed the HHR plug into the Curt Hitch adapter. Plug & Play:

Here's a close-up look at the plugs on the driver's side. Everything fits together perfectly:

Here's a quick look at my work area with my makeshift lighting set-up:

Next I had to drill a 3/32" hole to mount the white ground wire:

Ground wire installed:

I then routed all the wires down & behind & under the gate & fed over to the passenger side lights. I unplugged & installed the Curt wiring to the passenger side lights same as the other side. Here's the finished passenger side set-up:

I stretched the finished trailer plug wires out to where the hitch plug will be located to get an idea of how much to leave out & exposed. I then wrapped the loose wires with electrical tape. I used the red color so it will be more visable when hooked up to the trailer. I re-installed the spare tire cover tray & kick panels. Here's what the finished wire looks like:

Overall it took about an hour. Some of the time was spent in setting up power for the drill & the lights. Plus it was pretty cold out there so movement was restricted somewhat.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 AM

I used the available ground just below the tail light there was a nut I removed and placed the ground on... No drilling and has worked great for 5 years now. Good how-to..
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
I used the available ground just below the tail light there was a nut I removed and placed the ground on... No drilling and has worked great for 5 years now. Good how-to..
Yah I saw that one too but went ahead & drilled a new one just to be sure.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Good write up. Who's wiring was that? It's been 5 years also, but I don't remember having to setup a seperate ground, I was thinking it used the ground with the wiring harness.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Curt Hitch

Originally Posted by solman98
Good write up. Who's wiring was that? It's been 5 years also, but I don't remember having to setup a seperate ground, I was thinking it used the ground with the wiring harness.
The wiring kit came with the hitch. It's a Curt hitch.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by HHR_style
The wiring kit came with the hitch. It's a Curt hitch.
That might be the differance, mine was from Hidden Hitch.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM

It was nice that the wiring came with the hitch. (Nice write up too!) Didn't come with my UHaul Hitch. Last week I went to 5 UHauls in my area and had customer service scour some other UHauls for the plug & play wiring-nowhere to be found, except Jersey. They do have a kit for 8.50 that splices in but I don't want anything perminant due to about 1 1/2 years left on Bumper to Bumper. I went with the UHaul brand because it was on sale for 19.99 (normally 38.99). Customer service was great-the Jersey store is shipping it to my Westbury LI store around the corner from me for free. I don't have to pay till it comes in. The Uhaul people were great to deal with in person & on the phone. I also bought an extra ball mount from them when I was in the store-on sale also for 19.99. I am working on buying a gently used folding trailer. The good stuff-weighs 350 pounds and can haul 1800lbs. I would only need it to haul a couple hundred pounds anyway-well under the 1000lb limit. Hopefully it happens.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
It was nice that the wiring came with the hitch. (Nice write up too!) Didn't come with my UHaul Hitch. Last week I went to 5 UHauls in my area and had customer service scour some other UHauls for the plug & play wiring-nowhere to be found, except Jersey. They do have a kit for 8.50 that splices in but I don't want anything perminant due to about 1 1/2 years left on Bumper to Bumper. I went with the UHaul brand because it was on sale for 19.99 (normally 38.99). Customer service was great-the Jersey store is shipping it to my Westbury LI store around the corner from me for free. I don't have to pay till it comes in. The Uhaul people were great to deal with in person & on the phone. I also bought an extra ball mount from them when I was in the store-on sale also for 19.99. I am working on buying a gently used folding trailer. The good stuff-weighs 350 pounds and can haul 1800lbs. I would only need it to haul a couple hundred pounds anyway-well under the 1000lb limit. Hopefully it happens.
There was no cutting, soldering (and I like that!). It was a direct plug in & fit perfectly!
They do sell the wiring kit separately. I saw it on eBay for $21.69 + shipping.
Here is what the Curt wiring loom looks like:
Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Nice write up and pictures.

(I'm still smiling about the table lamp.Maybe Santa will bring you a nice work light for Christmas.LOL)
Old 12-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Deceased

Nice write up and a very good job, love the table lamp by the way, the dome lights in the HHR are a bit feeble.

Quick Reply: Install Trailer Hitch- Wiring