Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Factory Speaker Adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:13 PM

Factory Speaker Adapters?

First off, hello! I'm new here.

Both right side speakers in my '08 HHR went kaput sometime recently (think it may have been from getting rained on for a few minutes before I realized my windows were cracked but I'm not sure) and I'm trying to replace them with some relatively cheap ones. This is my first time doing any work on a car, but I do computers, phones, and stuff all the time so I thought I'd give it a go as long as there isn't anything mechanical involved. Planning to go ahead and replace the head unit with something bluetooth-enabled while I'm at it since the aux input on the stock one has been acting weird the last year or so.

Last night I picked up parts at walmart and took off the front passenger door cover to test that the speaker was the issue and not something else and I noticed that it uses some non-standard mounting. After a spot of research, it sounds like this is used on the lower-end stereo system and my options would be to either drill holes into my door (which I would like to avoid doing), find factory replacement parts (overpriced and will probably break again anyways), or try one of these mount adapters. I went ahead and ordered a set cheap on eBay (pic below) but it'll take a week to get here. I was just wanting to know if anybody has some experience using these that they could share with me. Also, if they don't work out and I have to drill holes into the metal, what sort of hardware (nuts/bolts, thread/length/diameter) am I supposed to use for the job?

I greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Name:  W0yThrl.png
Views: 36
Size:  79.2 KB
Old 07-08-2016, 12:30 PM

I just did a bit of research and drilling looks required. I mean, I would just do it unless you dont feel comfortable. Also a question, How is the aftermarket speaker supposed to sit in that adapter? I only can see one screw hole at the top.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
I just did a bit of research and drilling looks required. I mean, I would just do it unless you dont feel comfortable. Also a question, How is the aftermarket speaker supposed to sit in that adapter? I only can see one screw hole at the top.
I can drill it if I need to, but I'd rather not put any holes in my car if I can avoid it. No way I'm paying a shop to do it so if it comes down to that, I'll break out the drill.

It's pretty hard to see from that screenshot, so here's the picture provided from the ebay listing.

It looks like there are four little holes and then I'd just use a self-tapping screw or something to go into there since it's just plastic. I did see some other ones with more defined mount spots but these were cheaper so I figured I'd give them a try first.

If I have to drill, do you know what sort of hardware I should be using to screw the speaker in?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:49 PM

Cheapest way is to cut the speakers out of the OEM frame and use it as the adapter.

I think somewhere in the how-to area somebody posted up.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audi...dapters-48802/

And:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audi...-needed-47292/

The adapters don't usually need drilling. The bottom part fits in a slot on the door (just like the OEM speakers) and the screw you removed goes into the hole at the top (that you removed).

You most likely will need to modify the harness, since GM uses those tiny push ons.

Last edited by donbrew; 07-08-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:54 PM

Cool! That actually crossed my mind last night but I wasn't sure how much of the bracket would be usable after ripping the original speaker out. Glad to see someone else has done it. Looks like jerry-rigging things with zip ties happens a little in the auto world, too!

I'll give this a try when I get off of work.
For wiring, I was going to solder leads to the new speakers, then stick the other ends into the holes of the push-on connector to keep it in tact. Would it be better to just snip the end and connect it directly?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:57 PM

If the OEM speaker uses a plug, I would maybe suggest cutting the plug off the original speaker and reusing it with the new one? only two wires right?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 PM

Yeah just the two. If I'm going to try to re-use the original bracket, I might even be able to use the existing male connection on that bracket and not cut the cord going to the door at all. I'll have to look at it again after work to be sure.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:13 PM

I would definitely say use the original connection on the factory speakers. After all, why not try since you are junking them anyway.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Just to be controversial, I suggest tapping into the wires so you leave the OE connector intact for the future and just solder & tape a new wire.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 PM

I'm at work (insurance), so no multisim or illustrator. Guess powerpoint will have to do for now...
Name:  ihaeiI5.png
Views: 35
Size:  15.7 KB
I was planning to leave the original connector as is without cutting anything so it's still there if I ever need it. I'm going to grab a bit of spare speaker wire and solder one end to the new speaker. The other end will either go to the male end of the plug from the original or just get wedged straight in to the female connector.
My goal with this thing is to not make any changes to the vehicle that can't be undone.

Quick Reply: Factory Speaker Adapters?