Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Has GM taken any action on HHR speaker problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Has GM taken any action on HHR speaker problems

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any action by GM for what seems to be a common problem with HHR speakers going out. I have had a lot of cars and never had a speaker just stop working. I have change audio equipment and speakers because I wanted better sound quality but never had speakers just stop working and now four out of six are pretty much shot. GM should do something, has anybody heard if they have?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Administrator

depends on the warranty left on your ride, check with your dealer
Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by electraglide67
I was wondering if anyone was aware of any action by GM for what seems to be a common problem with HHR speakers going out. I have had a lot of cars and never had a speaker just stop working. I have change audio equipment and speakers because I wanted better sound quality but never had speakers just stop working and now four out of six are pretty much shot. GM should do something, has anybody heard if they have?
I can look into this and see what options you may have available. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage? Thanks a lot.

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM

I had the speakers replaced in my 06 HHR, the stock speakers are CHEAP, but I'm no audiophile, but listening to crackling speakers finally got to me. I had a HI_FI shop do it. They pulled off the door panels and put in new speaker. Less than an hour and $200 later new speakers.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Speakers ?

I would rather they focus on front end issues , steering colum issues, GMTU issues , Ect. I'm sure speakers are not even on the radar. IMO
Old 09-14-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by n2cyj
I have the same problem and added 2 external speakers and then wired them to the harness in the vehicle. My stock speakers only work when the temperature outside is above 75 degs F. Strange. Next step is to pull a door panel and check one speaker. I can't believe all 4 speakers are shot............Tweeters suck when the rest are dead. Did you find the problem ?
I'm having the same problem in my 2008 HHR. ITS REALLY frustrating! I've had the car almost 3 years, and the back speakers have never worked, the right front works sometimes if the window is down, and now the left side stopped working, except every once in a while. It's a very basic model, just am/fm, CD and aux in. I just can't spend 100's of dollars chasing this terrible design flaw down. About two years ago the back hatch stopped working, my mechanic says its 'probably' a body module, not sure which one.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:12 PM

Jessica, GM rep

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
I can look into this and see what options you may have available. Could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage? Thanks a lot.

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Jessica, I would like to complain vociferously about the terrible design flaw of these speakers. I have a 2008 HHR, I've had it nearly 3 years and the back speakers never work, and passager side door speaker works every once in a great while, and now the driver side had stopped working leaving only the one inch tweeters in the pillars. AND as of two years ago the rear hatch door wont open anymore. I don't have the hundreds of dollars it will take to find this problem.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:51 PM

There junk Mexico speakers !! I replaced mine with better ones and most of the time the connection rust up should of conceal them better
Old 09-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Technical Moderator

It is not the speaker design that is bad. It is the window sealing gasket is a stupid design.

Complaining to Chevrolet Customer Service in a 2 year dead thread is most likely a lost cause. PM them if you care enough.

They are "social media" reps. They mostly just "feel your pain" and direct you to a local dealership. I don't recall anyone getting much help beyond setting up an appointment.

Now that the TV news gets fed by twitter, maybe that would help.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Mistymorn has posted elsewhere with the same issue - will merge her other post with this thread to ease confusion and further double-posts.

Quick Reply: Has GM taken any action on HHR speaker problems