Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

HELP PLEASE: Wiring diagram for taillights <<<<<

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:24 AM

Arrow HELP PLEASE: Wiring diagram for taillights <<<<<

Hi everyone

i drive a 2008 Euro model LT with the yellow rear turn signals and additional fog- and backup lights (modified by Chevy Europe).

Now i'd like to change the taillights back to the original US setup with red turn signals and a wiring diagram would really be helpful, to know which cable has to go where.

My main sticking point is, that on the EU model the lower white backup-taillights run yellow bulbs as turn signals. So the turn signals work independent from normal red driving taillights and also brakelights. Now for the US setup, the red taillights have to function as brakelights AND turn signals and my problem is, how to get them to blink while also braking.

Will i need to change the relay as well, or is it enough to change the wiring?

Please if anyone has a link to a wiring diagram or can upload the file, that would be awesome.

Any other helpful advice to get this job done is also highly appreciated.

Thanks,
RR
Old 12-15-2010, 02:46 AM
geg

Guy! God sent you.
I have no scheme at hand. But at home I have it - will endeavor to find and lay out for you.
My problem is - up to a "contrary ".
I need a yellow tail lights, I use red and have a problem with the traffic police.
Show me your yellow lights and wiring diagram. We will produce the exchange.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 AM

That's great, thanks man!

i don't have a wiring diagram of my current setup, but will post all the differences step by step as soon as i made the conversion.

What i can already tell you is, that you will need an additional backup-light installed somewhere below the rear bumper, as your current white backup lights will work as yellow turn signals.

The Euro HHRs have a small black plastic box there, that holds a round backup light and round rear-foglight. Maybe you can get one of these boxes for your conversion. Or you can just install an aftermarket backup light in its place.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 AM

I will see if I can find a wirring diagram but I think you going to have to change the turn signal switch.The u.s. switch is what makes the brake lamps work but also flash when using the turn signals.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM
geg

hello
I'm home and looking for a scheme for you.
I'm not good in electrical circuits. But look at this:

I have a repair manual. This scheme, I found it: HHR2.zip \ WIRING.pdf
If you do not have the manual - download here: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/looking-repair-manual-31982/

If not what I found - dig in the repair manual. There is for sure.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Thank you geg - that's exactly what i needed. I'm also not good at electrics, but my mechanic can surely work with that.

As for your own modification project, have a look at these two pictures:

The first one shows the "Euro taillight modification" as it is done by Chevrolet Europe on official imports. This black box below the rear bumper includes a white backup light and red foglight. There is an additional switch below the steering wheel for the foglight.

The second picture shows a selfmade aftermarket solution for an added backup-light. This is cheaper and also looks better in my opinion. Plus you don't really need the rear-foglight, if your point is only to get yellow turn signals.

In addition to the separate backup light, you will need to rewire your taillights, put yellow bulbs into the clear factory backup lights and change the blinker relais.

I'm not sure yet about how to change that blinker relais, where it is located and how much work that is. But i can probably tell you more after my own setup has been changed.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:11 AM
geg

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I've never seen a European HHR. Now I understand how it's done.
I must say, I came to a similar scheme by a short meditation.
The first time I have also planned to hang the "reversing lights" under the bumper. But concluded that after a while break it on the obstruction when reversing the motion. In addition, it is close to the road surface:
1. lantern will be hard to see.
2. road dirt will stain the reflector.
3. road moisture will spoil the electrical contacts.
I decided to put "reversing lights" inside the car so that the light shone through the window of the gate. Traffic police advised not to do so.
Then I turned my attention to the red decorative slits in the rear bumper. I think in these slots to install LEDs, red reflectors are replaced by white reflectors. Today, this decision seems to me the most successful. If I can not imagine something better, then get to work in the spring.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by geg
...Then I turned my attention to the red decorative slits in the rear bumper. I think in these slots to install LEDs, red reflectors are replaced by white reflectors. Today, this decision seems to me the most successful. If I can not imagine something better, then get to work in the spring.
That sounds great!

I think when going for yellow turn signals, then your idea seems like the best solution for backup light placement.

When it is done professionally, it will look even better than the "official" solution on the Euro HHRs taillights.

I wonder why Chevrolet didn't think of this themselves and instead went for that ugly box below the bumper...