Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Instructions to install aftermarket Amp and Sub

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:05 AM

Thanks SoCAL!

I guess you can tell, I haven't had my HHR long. I failed to open the owners manual...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 PM

You are awsome. I have not had the time to hunt everything down!! This will let me consentrate on building my box now.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Good night, that's alot easier than pulling out the stereo to tap in
Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 PM

you give the wire codes to only one speaker. My converter needs a right and left channel. Whats the other 2 wire codes?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 AM

ok, I figured it out and I'm going to add to this install to help anyone else out trying to install your line converter.

1. remove driver side door sill plastic and kick panel, there you will find a harness that runs to the back of the car. This harness contains the 2 speaker wires we are looking for, Yellow (-) and brown (+). You can find codes on this link http://n8zcc.com/pics/HHR/Audio_Connectors.pdf .

2. Ok, in that harness there are several yellow and brown wires. I found a yellow wire and the brown wire was wrapped around it, so thats where I started (not sure if that will be like that in every harness). To see if I had the correct wires I went to the harness in the rear door jam and remove the harness.

3. Here I took a volt meter and probed into the harness and spliced open the yellow and brown wire at the kick panel. Touching the leads with the volt meter showed I had the correct wires at the kick panel. I was lucky to have found the correct wires the first try. Also you could test the wires by splicing open the yellow and brown and taking a 9 volt battery and touching the leads and this will pop the speaker then knowing you have the correct wires.

drive side rear passanger door harness yellow (-) and brown (+)

Driver sidekick panel wires

Passanger side kick panel wires

4. From here you can attach your speaker leads left and right to your line output converter.

Hope this helps..........
Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 PM

ok, im a newb to this.

from the splice the speaker wires go to the inline converter and then go to the amp?

i have never used an inline converter.
are there any good ones or can i just go to wal-mart and buy the scosche one?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 PM

Whiplash: I am taking a guess here but I am thinking the reason for supplying only wire codes for one speaker is because those are the low pass wires for the sub already in the HHR.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dr_fosg8
Whiplash: I am taking a guess here but I am thinking the reason for supplying only wire codes for one speaker is because those are the low pass wires for the sub already in the HHR.
More likely it's because you only need one side for running a mono sub. I don't think there's a crossover anywhere in the stock sound system except for the premium sub amp.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Just a piece of advice to all those doing this. If you are running a elaborate system and are running a amp to new speakers, you may want to run new wires to the speakers not just tie into the old wires. I did this with my system and there is a hole in the bottom of the plug where you can get the wires fished through. It takes some doing but you will probably be better off in the end. Just my opinion.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Help

Ok the first set of information was helpful. Pictures would have been nice. However it did not specify if it was for the base audio package or the premier package. I have the 800w pioneer system. I want to tap into the sub's input (which would only be one pair of wires) I plan to leave the factory sup hooked up and add the after market sub. I decided to go straight to the factory amp, so I had more room to work. I pulled the driver side rear panel off found the wiring harness but never found the wires that where described at the beginning. So I started testing different ones but gave up because I never could find the sub input. So does any one have the for sure sub input for the 800w pioneer system. I have already built my custom box and have everything ready to go but I need this very critical piece of information. I don’t plan to have the factory head unit forever but I need some bump now, and I am saving up for the head unit I want. Please some one give me a straight clear answer, ex what two wire colors I need to tap into and if they are striped or solid. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Instructions to install aftermarket Amp and Sub