Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Instructions To Swap US8 For US9?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:44 PM

Instructions To Swap US8 For US9?

Want to swap my single disc US8 for the US9 changer. Local dealers have no clue on how. Does anyone have the Tech 2 instructions I can share with them? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

I doubt there are specific instructions for that kind of swap. What you need is someone who knows how to use a Tech II. In other words, someone that's been to the actual school and learned how to operate one. Not just a dealership jockey who plugs it in and reads the screen.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Technical Moderator

I may be totally or partially wrong:

As I understand the security process; when you install a new unit the chip inside it requests a Universally Unique ID from the BCM. From that point on that radio is forever married to that BCM. That radio will only work in that car and the radio becomes part of the GMLAN so the car won't run without it (or another registered device). I don't know if the radio controls would be different programming.

I think someone that knows how to can erase the UUID so the BCM can hand out a new one.

To put it into simplified IT terms the BCM is the DHCP server on an old fashioned 10BASE2 LAN (the kind that uses coax and needs terminators).

Option 1; purchase a brand new radio
Option 2: unsolder the chips (if the units have them) and switch them
Option 3: purchase a new virgin chip and install it in place of the original.

It would be easier to install after-market equipment.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I may be totally or partially wrong:

As I understand the security process; when you install a new unit the chip inside it requests a Universally Unique ID from the BCM. From that point on that radio is forever married to that BCM. That radio will only work in that car and the radio becomes part of the GMLAN so the car won't run without it (or another registered device). I don't know if the radio controls would be different programming.

I think someone that knows how to can erase the UUID so the BCM can hand out a new one.

To put it into simplified IT terms the BCM is the DHCP server on an old fashioned 10BASE2 LAN (the kind that uses coax and needs terminators).

Option 1; purchase a brand new radio
Option 2: unsolder the chips (if the units have them) and switch them
Option 3: purchase a new virgin chip and install it in place of the original.

It would be easier to install after-market equipment.
Unfortunately, even though I can buy a new radio, I'm concerned the car won't recognize it because it's a US9 without being told to.

There are no more new aftermarket in-dash CD changers available, so that's not an option, plus getting the audio controls in the steering wheel to work would likely be an expensive nightmare.

Lots of older posts here point to it being doable, dependent on the knowledge of the dealer/tech. So far the ones in SoCal are clueless.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by TVCCS

Lots of older posts here point to it being doable, dependent on the knowledge of the dealer/tech. So far the ones in SoCal are clueless.
Clueless?? What's a CD? Are you talking about that obsolete data storage that was released 35 years ago? It was mostly for music, right? Like an iPod or other MP3 player, except it took up a lot more space to store a LOT less data.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Clueless?? What's a CD? Are you talking about that obsolete data storage that was released 35 years ago? It was mostly for music, right? Like an iPod or other MP3 player, except it took up a lot more space to store a LOT less data.
I'm already an analog guy in a digital world, and even that's outdated now. Then again, an HHR ain't exactly "newfangled" tech.