Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

PAL (Personal Audio Link) Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:05 PM

PAL (Personal Audio Link) Problems

So I'm about to lose it.
Bought my car last November (2007). At the time I bought a PAL so I could play my iPod and XM. They said it was not yet available, but that they would order it.
At the same time a friend goes to Best Buy, buys an aftermarket iPod hookup for his Impala.
I installed his in about 30 minutes.
My PAL showed up in March 2008. Dealer too busy to get me in for two weeks. I install it myself - takes 3 - 4 hours.
It has been a piece of S**t. It either flips between XM 0 and the station. Or it says XM not available. Or when I play the iPod there is this "digital audio garbage" like squelching or scratching.
Dealer won't give me my money back - other dealer wants $65 an hour to remove it
So I'm reading forums, talking to the dealer, and such - and about October a TSB comes out and says "Software update - replace PAL module". So I print it out and take it to the dealer and he orders one.
Now they're on backorder - with no known ship date. Dealers frustrated, I'm frustrated. WTF?!
IMO - this is why GM is having issues. They do not take care of their customers. If I knew a way to let Lutz or Wagoner no how frustrated I am I would. If you get a fix, take care of your customers.
Aaarrrrgghhh!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 PM

I bought my PAL in June of this year and had it installed by the selling Dealer......
It has been doing the XM 0 thing for months.......I took the TSB page(got it here) describing the problem to my dealer yeasterday....They replaced the PAL unit and reprogrammed! It works great now and they didn't charge me a dime !!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by tomw
I bought my PAL in June of this year and had it installed by the selling Dealer......
It has been doing the XM 0 thing for months.......I took the TSB page(got it here) describing the problem to my dealer yeasterday....They replaced the PAL unit and reprogrammed! It works great now and they didn't charge me a dime !!
Hey Folks!
Finally got the new PAL unit installed Friday! Literally took them that long to get the part from backorder from GM. It works great - can leave it on XM and it doesnt skip all around or remain on XM0. I hope this works. Also had to have one of my wheels replaced. When they went to rebalance them the black chrome came off with the wheel weight. Needless to say - I put the weights on the inside if the wheel.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM

08 ?

i have an 08 , it has a plug on the front of the radio. mine should be plug and play , right?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 3amigos
IMO - this is why GM is having issues. They do not take care of their customers. If I knew a way to let Lutz or Wagoner no how frustrated I am I would. If you get a fix, take care of your customers.
Aaarrrrgghhh!
If you were dissatisfied with the unit, there's no reason why the dealership couldn't give you the money back. That's their policy, not GM's.

If you want to email Bob Lutz, his email is publicly available on GM's website and he will take action and respond to your message.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 AM

The replacement PAL units solved the X0 issue for me although it took a view visits to get it sorted out. The interface is still very klugy but it does work. The newer units even stay on XM or IPOD after the car is power cycled. The older units would not.

Not a great unit but it works and lets me keep the console clear of wires and my IPOD.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
i have an 08 , it has a plug on the front of the radio. mine should be plug and play , right?
All HHR's have an aux jack in the front. For 2009 that plug became a USB port. While yes, it is a plug and play - the PAL allows you to plug your iPod into a jack that also charges the iPod while you listen to music. To be honest - I am so in love with satellite radio - I rarely listen to anything else. I also did not want wires all over the place. The kit allows your to store you iPod in the Upper Bin.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
If you were dissatisfied with the unit, there's no reason why the dealership couldn't give you the money back. That's their policy, not GM's.

If you want to email Bob Lutz, his email is publicly available on GM's website and he will take action and respond to your message.
Actually, after I wrote that the dealership offered to take it back and give me my money back -- but I had to pay shop rates to remove the PAL - and there were no guarantees they could fix the wiring (where you have to cut a wire out of the wiring harness to install the PAL. The Pain in the A** factor with how long it took was driving me crazy.